Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Is there anyone that makes gloves boxes out of anything but cardboard? My experience with the cardboard ones haven't been very good, they always seem to be bent and crumpled.
I would think something out of aluminum would be more durable.
Don't know that I will ever need to, but my thought would be to use ABS plastic sheet, cut to fit and glued together. I think whatever medium one is comfortable with would be better than the cardboard. (I'll bet that's not what the factory calls it) The ABS can be heated and molded also. I did use a couple of ABS pieces to replace cardboard air dams on either side of the radiator on my TR7. The black crinkle finish looks right and they are certainly more durable than the paper stuff.
Mine is cardboard on the inside and fiber glass on the outside. The same as the transmission tunnel cover. BTW, all glove boxes on the TR4-6 were originally cardboard.
I've used POR15 in similar applications, in this case stapeling fine thin mesh fiberglass to the cardboard, trimming, and then applying the POR would give you the same results as making the box from plastic.
ABS seems like a good idea, probably easier to work with than Aluminum, but the POR15 idea is brilliant! Are there any downsides to that......Since mine are in pretty good shape, that might be a cheap and easy way of doing it!
Thanks for the ideas!
I have not used POR on the glove-boxes in our Spitfire or GT6, but I have used it on the boot lid liner on the Mini (also made of textured cardboard). The POR worked VERY well in that application, strengthening the "mushed" parts and stiffening the whole panel. I did apply a top coat of Eastwood Chassis Black to give a more satin finish and prevent any discoloration from UV light exposure. After 8 years, the boot lid liner looks the same as it did when first completed.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.