• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Carb help please for 69 TR6

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I had my carbs rebuilt by Jeff at Paltech. I synronized the carbs, adjusted the idle to about 900, and timed my car by using vacuum timing. I disabled the vacuum control device. There are no vacuum leaks. The problem is that the carbs are still too rich. There is a small amount of smoke coming out the tail pipe that smells heavily of gas. There is hesitation when I try to acclerate. These carbs have fixed needles, so how can I adjust the fuel mixture? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Lower the float level. The normal level is .025 to .027 inch. Increase that height because the carbs will be upside down when you do this and you will have less fuel in the float chamber resulting in a leaner mixture.
Also a float chamber needle valve that has debris holding it open will let fuel in constantly instead of cutting off the supply when the floats rise. So maybe that's the problem.
Measuring the float height. Notice no gasket.
floatheight.jpg

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Do I need to remove the brass plug to remove the float bowl, and is there a special tool to do this? Is there a way to check/clean the float chamber area? It seems like I should check to make sure there is no debris before I work on the floats. Once I get the bowl off, I know I am going to have questions on adjusting the float bowl. Thanks
Kevin

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
No but you do have to remove the carbs to do it right and accurately. There are 6 screws holding the float chamber onto the carb body and there will be gas in the float chamber, so tilt the carb and let it drain as soon as you get the carbs off the manifold.
Personally I don't like to remove the plug to drain the float chamber because one of the plastic tongues might snap off if youre not careful.
Do you have a Manual or the Buckeye article so you have some idea of what you are fooling with ?
Do a little reading and a light bulb may come on.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I was kind of thinking I was going to have to remove the carbs. Do you think it will be ok to use the same manifold gasket? Isn't the float level something that should have been set when they were rebuilt? I will have to wait until next weekend to do this now. In the meantime, I do have the Buckeye article and manual, and will read them. I have done all of the things you suggested, and my car is running much better by the way - thanks. I know my car will run great after I get the fuel problem taken care of.
Kevin

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
Are you using high octane ? as that does make a difference

and are the plugs correct range ?

if so try increase heat range ?
JMTCW

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks like we were posting at the same time, Randall. I normally use my Haynes manual - thanks for saying something about the float level. I am really curious as to what the float level is set at now.
Kevin

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
That's right Randall. I'm glad you caught that. I meant .625 to .627.
I know that difers from Buckeye, but I have a note in my manual that those were the correct measurements in inches.
Maybe they are and who gave me those #'s I don;t recall, but
I've been using them. Sorry for the misprint, Kevin
If you want to lower the fuel level Kevin maybe you should use the upper range of Randall's numbers
And yes, you'd have to believe that Paltech set the floats correctly, but you asked how to lean the carbs, so that's how you do it. Whether or not that's the problem or flooding from the needle valve is up to you to discover.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That wasn't Randall on my screen. That was Art

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
DNK said:
That wasn't Randall on my screen. That was Art
:iagree:

ISTR that, if all else fails, it is possible to move the jets slightly in the carb body to change the mixture. But I've never tried it, and I could be mistaken. All the ZS carbs I've worked on have had the adjustment in the piston.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
They do press in from the bridge and sit about .09" from being flush with the top of the bridge, So they could be pushed up from the the bottom in the float chamber, but with all due respect to Kevin, do we really want him to try that ?
He seems kinda green when it comes to this car and carbs.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shouldn't that have been set correctly from Jeff?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
True, on both counts. I did say it was a last resort.

But while I don't know about you guys, diving in and tackling jobs "over my head" is how I learned this stuff. Pretty much all the really stupid things I've done, have been not doing something because it was too difficult or I didn't know how (or I was just plain lazy
grin.gif
)

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I think that depends upon how much innate ability one has. And self confidence..'
My mentor told me "a man built it you can repair it" I've tried to keep his memory alive by respecting that..it's all in the attitude.