• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Carb Float Levers

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Guys... I was trying to diagnose a starting problem on my BJ8 and noticed a lot of flooding occurring out of the float bowls. I have never had these apart, but noticed the 3 prongs on the float levers attaching end were bent up and one of the levers was even installed upside down! I don't think they are the original float levers. My question is, should these be attached to allow the lever to move full motion? If it did, it would seem like the needles would be free to fall out when fully open.

The other option is to allow only limited movement of the lever by extending the middle prong so it stops on the small metal bar in the middle. It's a wonder these things worked in my car at all!

The manuals depict only the original levers configuration. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210914_171156.jpg
    20210914_171156.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 114
  • 20210914_171138.jpg
    20210914_171138.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 123

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Country flag
It's been a while since I've had my BJ8's carb float lids off, but to the best of my recollection yours are installed correctly. Yes, when held correct side up, the levers will hang just prior to the angle at which the needles will drop out, about 45deg from horizontal (the center tang should prevent that; i.e. you should not be able to 'flip' the lever completely, as in the bottom lid in the first photo). The part of the lever that contacts the needles should be flat, adjustments should be made at the bends on either side of the flat part, mostly at the 'hinge' side. Your levers look correct, but someone has ham-fisted them, probably to get the correct nominal setting--5/16" or 7/16", I can never remember without checking the manual and I think it varies with carb model--without knowing or caring why or how this should be done. Yours are probably salvageable if you work them carefully with needle-nose pliers, but if any doubt buy new ones. Car will run OK as long as float level is correct, but yours could risk jamming the needles in the valve.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thank you Bob and Big Green both very helpful! Interesting, that before I took the photos I flipped one of the levers back to the correct way. Before, it was fork tines down and this was causing that float bowl to fill about an inch lower than the other one. I'm wondering what effect,if any,it would have on performance,starting, etc? The car actually seem to run OK albeit hard starting sometimes!

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
having the lever flipped so that the fuel level is an inch lower will have some effect, but it may not be noticeable. Before putting my car away for a long time, I'll turn the fuel pump off and let the engine drain the fuel bowls while idling. It seems to idle normally until just before running out.

OP
S

Scot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yeah John my only thought would be the heat in the engine compartment which out cars are known for. Would a partially full bowl be more sensitive to heat than a full one while running hot in the Summer? I do have an issue with hard starting when the engine is hot vice firing up right away when cold! Never solved it. Can't be sure until I get this all back together.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A partially full bowl will be more susceptible to heat in the Summer because of the smaller volume. According to tests run at the University of Manchester (UK) main issue with hot starting is modern fuels are more volatile than fuels when these cars were new.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
You have Gross jets installed. These are excellent but sometime prone to sticking with debris from perished fuel lines, gaskets, stuff from tank. Check for proper operation (full open and close). Clean if needed. They are also adjustable by inserting / stacking small ring gaskets at base.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
U Might want to read Glemons earlier report below :

SU Carb question float level/leaner/richer​

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag