• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Camping

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Or the Knights who say Nee!! :smile:

But all they get is a shrubbery!

By the way, how's the GMC motorhome coming along? We're thinking about making a trip across Canada next year - interested in joining us?

Mickey

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Camped out a Road America this year. Great fun.

camping at RA (1024x595).jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I remember when I used to pack my stuff into the trunk and I'd take the Spitfire camping.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
We've always enjoyed camping - yes, even in tents. It's a great way that we get our batteries recharged. Did a LOT of camping when we lived in Montana back in the day.

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
From my last trip down to the desert. I've upgraded, and now have a twin futon mattress that fits in the back of my XTerra. Luxury camping! It is a nice upgrade from the tent. Still like and use a tent (particularly off my motorcycle) but the truck wins on a windy night.

grrdesert.jpg

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've been to Bryce, stayed a few days at the campground. The Hoodoo's were surreal, we hiked a bunch but the best experience was just sitting on the edge taking it all in, there is power that overwhelms and that's as good a reason as any to camp, just to be there. Desert is a long drive for us but it's getting cold, maybe time for a road trip.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
From my last trip down to the desert. I've upgraded, and now have a twin futon mattress that fits in the back of my XTerra. Luxury camping! It is a nice upgrade from the tent. Still like and use a tent (particularly off my motorcycle) but the truck wins on a windy night.

Xterras are great trucks! Mine's a '13 model S with manual transmission so we can tow it behind the motorhome. Very capable 4-by-4s with an active following. Pity Nissan dropped it a few years ago.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Xterras are great trucks! Mine's a '13 model S with manual transmission so we can tow it behind the motorhome. Very capable 4-by-4s with an active following. Pity Nissan dropped it a few years ago.

Just curious if the manual was less $$ than the automatic or did you have to pay extra to get the stick (which was the case with my Vett)?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just curious if the manual was less $$ than the automatic or did you have to pay extra to get the stick (which was the case with my Vett)?

Don't know. I do know that there aren't many manual transmission units out there, no doubt due to most folks not wanting them. That can affect pricing both ways...

We got lucky with this one. Had less than 40,000 miles on it and paid less than a comparable one with auto.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drew - anywhere near Bryce?

Not really. This spot was just north of Goblin Valley state park (fairly close to Capitol Reef NP). I saw no one in the canyon I was in that weekend. Just lovely, spend all day hiking up on the rocks.

I've become very fond of mine. It's a 2011 Pro-4X with the manual. Bought it almost 3 years ago with 75k on it, have 109k on it now and going strong. Best daily driver I've ever had, can even tow 5000# (slowly) so it can be a recovery vehicle if needed. Hoping to keep this one for a long time to come. It's the perfect desert exploration vehicle. Capable enough, and being able to sleep in it comfortably makes it luxury camping for me.