Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm moving ahead with my caliper rebuild and need to know the orientation of the pistons within the caliper housing. What direction does the cutout on the lip of the piston go?
Thanks, Rut
Thanks, on the edge of the open end of the piston there is about 1/3 that is cut back about 1/32. I'm wondering what position it goes in, up, down, left or right?
Thanks, Rut
I position the cutaway part downward facing the direction of the rotor traveling under hard forward deceleration. I figured it was designed that way to apply most of the pressure from the middle of the pad to the back edge so that things would'nt bind. Maybe I'm all wet on that theory but the first set I did I did'nt read the stuctions [only when all else fails!!]. I positioned them with the cutout towards the axle if I remember right. Had trouble with brakes not wanting to release.
Thanks guys...looks like there are several different opinions regarding placement. The manual said note position of piston before you remove them and everybody knows what I did, read the manual after I removed them! My theory was to place the cut out toward the hub to give more force to the outside of the disc to help stopping power. My manual does not make a statement regarding position. I'm open to more thoughts.
Thanks, Rut
Rut, that was my idea as well till I tryed it and then had to find out otherwise. Now mine are all located with the cutout down. Seem to work great that way.
Kurt, when I said cutout face the hub I thought that would be down as well in relationship to the caliper. I'll look at mine and make sure I know what I'm looking at.
Thanks, Rut
Rut, I met the cut away should be toward the ground or more precisely exactly facing the center of the rotating part of the disc friction area. Though I don't think it is all that critical.
When you say 'hub' I take that to be the same as the axle center. Which I had one apart and a pic. [Worth a 1000 words]
Kurt.
that cut is for lead in it should face the rotor with the cut out on the in coming side of the rotor, if the caliper is behind the axle it should be down if it in front of the axle it should be up
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.