Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Heat is often listed as a reason for caliper paint. However, there should be no issue with heat on a street car.
Consider the boiling point of brake fluid. The wet boiling point (after it has absorbed moisture from the air) is around 300oF. Almost any paint is going to survive that. If your caliper gets hot enough to damage the paint, you have more serious problems to deal with... like boiling brake fluid.
There is a 1200 deg engine paint by Dupli-Color that will work for less money, but for it to last it needs to be baked at 300 deg for 30 min. or so. I'ved used it on brake drums with very good results without baking.
I think that just like fishing lures are marketed to catch fishermen the same is true with many car products. It has to be better, after all it is "caliper" paint and it does cost more. And the biggest reason is that I bit and used it!
I sincerely hope you don't have brake fluid on the outside of your calipers. If you do, you... as with heat damaged paint... you have other things to worry about than paint.
I sincerely hope you don't have brake fluid on the outside of your calipers. If you do, you... as with heat damaged paint... you have other things to worry about than paint.
I have used rustoleum silver or "aluminum" colored spray paint on brake calipers and discs, no problems whatsoever with heat even with occasional autocrosses and one track day. I did have to touch up the calipers when I got brake fluid on them when rebuilding though.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.