• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Caitlin Drives a Bugeye

Country flag
Yup, bugeyeguy has done waork to that car.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
But it is a "Classic Triumph Spitfire." article says so!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well I guess it must be a highly customized Triumph Spitfire then. Everyone knows they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

Randyz

Country flag
I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little bit. The 'Classic Triumph Spitfire' reminds me of several incidents. I was sitting at a light in my white MGB when I heard a child in the car next to me say, "Look Mom. That guy's driving an old Miata". Or the guy who came up to me at British Car Day and said, "Hey, I used to have a car just like yours. Except it was a Triumph Spitfire and it was red". Have any of you seen an ad on TV that shows a couple driving along in a red MGA (you can clearly see the dash and windshield), but when they switch to an exterior shot as they are parking, it magically turns into a red Triumph TR-3? This stuff drives me crazy!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I get that "Is that a (fill in the blank with any other British car make except the correct one)" all the time. Very few people recognize the "Square Sprite" for what it actually is. And those that do usually were previous owners of one.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little bit. The 'Classic Triumph Spitfire' reminds me of several incidents. I was sitting at a light in my white MGB when I heard a child in the car next to me say, "Look Mom. That guy's driving an old Miata". Or the guy who came up to me at British Car Day and said, "Hey, I used to have a car just like yours. Except it was a Triumph Spitfire and it was red". Have any of you seen an ad on TV that shows a couple driving along in a red MGA (you can clearly see the dash and windshield), but when they switch to an exterior shot as they are parking, it magically turns into a red Triumph TR-3? This stuff drives me crazy!
After parking my TR6 a lady asked me "is that your car?"
When I told her it was she said "nice Mercedes!"
I never corrected her.

nomad

Yoda
Yeah, I have a friend that got so tired of this that now when someone ask's or doesn't know he tell's them his MGB is a Jaguar XKE! They don't often question.....

Kurt

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OTOH - while I started it by mentioning the text of the article - a compliment is a compliment is a complement. Most of the time we don't need to correct those who mean well but don't know - and most people don't know the names of 50+ year old cars - but they try. Often that's enough.

edit: was further thinking about this - and it seems like there are (at least) two kinds of people - those who don't know but mean well and the rivet counters who know something and feel they must tell you what is wrong with your car - it is fine to run them over. :devilgrin:

Last edited:

nomad

Yoda
JP, depending on personality, my friend corrects the claim! Particularly if they are female!:smile-new: You are correct that any recognition is a compliment and not something one would expect from the modern run of the mill cars that are on the road today.

Kurt.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Or "This is the car Maxwell Smart drove". Well, no...that was a Sunbeam, later a Karmann Ghia, and I think he did an Opel GT one season, IIRC.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Geez! Probably figured that the BE was small enough that someone else could fit in the spot, too.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Actually, the car has been extensively reworked since early 2017 by Tom Colby of Speedwell Engineering. Work included complete (and necessary) rebuild of the engine, suspension and brakes to name just a few things that needed attention. I also supplied the 5 speed kit and gearbox, and a Moss supercharger was also installed. Anyone interested in any more details should check out either Tom's FB page or the Spridgets Facebook page. Lots of interesting stuff about it going back to the beginning of this year. If you're not familiar with Tom's stellar work, you should definitely check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spridgets/

Yup, bugeyeguy has done waork to that car.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Last edited:
Country flag
I guess I was referring to this video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbuZP-yDr4

...I didn't make the connection that this was the car that Tom had reworked, but I do know bits of that story from his facebook posts that I look at from time to time.