• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy IV's First Drive - Yes He is Legal and now on the road

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
This afternoon, Bugsy IV my 1960 Bugeye Sprite, Unicorn, One Previous Owner, No Rust CA Car became Legal. Once home form the BMV and VIN Inspection, I couldn't resist a trip around the block even before I added the Temporary Tags. Impressions are as follows:

1) Really Load with Headers and a Muffler that sounds like a Rice Rocket with that loud Whapping Sound. Not pleasant at all. That needs to go.

2) Brakes - Non Existent - 3 pumps to stop but I knew I needed to get shoes adjusted so they settle in their proper place and now will go back and rebleed and adjust some more.

3) Engine - got some pep but needs carbs dialed in. Fixed the loading up and stalling issue last night as front float was sticking open and engine getting too much gas. There is some power under the bonnet.

4) Shocks needed. A call to Peter C is in order. Lots and lots of body roll and I can tell front suspension is worn. New parts are in the back on the shop including Disks, Resleeved Master, Rear Backing plates. Brake lines look good all around no rust on them but again they rust internally. Have new brake lines to install on the shelf.

5) Lots of fettling needed to fix and detail all sorts of stuff. Seatbelts to be installed. I need a new horn push. Thought it was on my last AH Spares order but no it wasn't.

6) Still working through front turn signal issues and running lights. Need to check grounds.

7) Need a RED Shorty Tonneau ordered. And a new top, and Side Crutain window seals that deteriorated over the last 3 years in the back of my garage when they were perfect.

8) new Interior and seat kit will get installed along w 1275 and 5 speed when this one goes to paint.
Need to find a reasonable local painter or BUGSY IV will get another Rustoleum Job and I think he's too nice to do that.

All in all happy BUGSY IV is back on the road.

Bugsy II is missing a 31 y.o. copy of the last registration to get registered in OH. That's the last time he was titled in Quebec and OH BMV is giving me fits today. I even have the plate with the Registration Sticker on it. Wrote to the PO to see if he can help. Assuming he's still around. Anyway I got my Bugeye driving today. September 2, 2016. Bugsy IV is now 56 almost 57 years old.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congrats, Jim. Still lots to do without being unsurmountable. Gotta be another way than putting a Rustoleum paint job on a car so solid. With my big Healey, I did all the body work and priming and sanding at a local vocational school and had a local pro shop shoot the topcoats. I would have tried shooting it myself, but it was metallic and I didn't want to take a chance on tiger striping it with the cost of materials.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I see you're at the 90% done, 90% to go phase.

I've started lining up my ducks for Baby Blue's winter overhaul. I don't think there will ever be a point where I can say "It's done", but that's kind of the beauty of it, too.

Desert Rat

Country flag
Congrats, Jim!

I spent the day ripping out Agnes's old carpet kit and installing a Bugeye Guy non-carpet kit. She looks heaps better now.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
ALRIGHT! :cheers:

I see you're at the 90% done, 90% to go phase.

I didn't realize that had a name. I've been living in that phase for years now.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rick considering that Vocational School thing myself. If Ohio once you hit 60 or 65 you can audit classes at no charge at many institutions. I could go and learn body shop painting work over the winter.

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well done, Jim!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rick considering that Vocational School thing myself. If Ohio once you hit 60 or 65 you can audit classes at no charge at many institutions. I could go and learn body shop painting work over the winter.

Before you enroll, talk to the instructor first and let him or her know your goals. Most of the time they are former bodyshop folks themselves and are pretty knowledgeable. Most of the schools won't let you keep your car there when not working on it so you'll either have to drive it there for the class period or trailer it. At least around here there's not too much instruction going on, it's mostly a place to work on your car and use the tools. However the instructors are generally willing to help you if you ask. If you're not familiar with body and paint, take a look at: https://www.paintucation.com/ before you start.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy IV caView attachment 44561View attachment 44562View attachment 44563View attachment 44564View attachment 44565mes out of his cave to see the sun on Labor Day Weekend. Thought folks would enjoy some new pics of Bugsy IV.
Started thinking about next steps and the rest of this note will help me with those short Term tasks to finish this stage of the restoration.

1. Brakes – Bleed and adjust – really scary trying to stop yesterday. Pump three times to stop.
  2. Horn – Need a horn button. Thought I had ordered from AH Spares but was not on the Packing slip
  3. Turn Signals and Parking lamps – Figuring out why those don’t work.
  4. DS Door – Needs fitting. Only held in place by 4 screws instead of 16
  5. Pull seat and reinstall Speedometer. Speedo is not working at all I noticed yesterday, unknown why but might be cable not screwed into transmission.
  6. Cockpit trim – needs screwed down – only 4-5 screws instead of 20 holding in place
  7. Order Red – Short Tonneau cover and fit it. - ORDERED THIS AM - Bugeye Guy.
  8. Rear bumperettes – Screw holes for Bumperettes are closed up. Will need to redrill out, Mount Bumperettes
  9. Front and Rear Shocks – Need 4 of Peter C’s Best. Rear Shocks are tube shocks and need to be replaced.
  10. Rear End – Replace dif with a 3.9, new Radius Arms( Already have, shocks and bushings. Paint and clean up rear end. This likely will wait until car goes for paint.
  11. Front Tilt Kit - This likely will wait until car goes for paint
  12. 1275 and 5 Speed Install – As soon as Bugsy II gets sold and I have cash flow engine needs to go for work
    1. 1275 Check out replacement head I purchased. Have Crack Checked, Brass Plug replaced, Valve Seats and Seals,
    2. Block checked, bearings and rings replaced, bore if needed .020 over
    3. Cam likely want to replace with something a little hotter.
    4. Carbs rebuild on the 1275. I needed to steal for float off of the front carb for this engine.
    5. Tranny – Need front of tranny cut down to fit under the battery shelf, Have clutch already and pressure plate, Master Cylinder already ¾” and resleeved by Gerard.
    6. Get shifter cut down. I like the way shifter was done on 60FROG and Blue Max with Datsun Shifter.
    7. New Muffler – Present setup sounds like a giant fart like a Rice Rocket Whaaaaaaaap Sound. Terrible not the way a BE should sound
    8. Electric Fan with that trick auto On/Off switch from Frontline in the UK that fits in Lower Radiator Hose
  13. Install rebuilt front end and disk brakes, sway bar, Bushings. Shocks, Make Bugsy handle like he should, paint all up front black satin, vs, Engine Bay and rest of car OEW - Again when car comes apart for paint
  14. Install new Wiring Harness with Relays, change to Negative Ground with Speedhut Gauges for Speedo and Tach
  15. Add 14” VTO Wheels and Sticky Tires
  16. Oh yeah and someplace in here get the car repainted OEW
  17. Reinstall new Interior, Seats, in RED Go find some curvy roads and drive.

PS if I find a spare $4 K, MOSS Supercharger Kit to go with the engine upgrades.

PSPS Before you ask, Air Cleaners came from Trevor years ago when he got a new toy for his shop. I like them and they are cool!!!!

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
attachment.php
PSPS Before you ask, Air Cleaners came from Trevor years ago when he got a new toy for his shop. I like them and they are cool!!!!

What an understatement. That car is so cool. I remember it when it showed up on BAT if I remember correctly. The fact that someone on this site bought it makes the story so much better. It is worth the effort. The direction and methodical way you have got it on the road is a challenge that I would struggle with especially after the effort you were giving the prior Bugeye. Great Job to repeat my repeat comments every time I see what you are doing. Holt

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Guys, I should also add that Bugsy's new Ohio Vanity Plates will read

BUGSY IV