• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugsy is alive and went for his first real drive this afternoon.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I got brakes fixed issue was missing Clevis Pin connecting the Brake Pedal to the brake rod. in fact found the missing Clevis Pin under the brake return spring in the Pedal Box . Suspect he installed the pin and simply forgot a cotton pin is needed in there. Brakes are really squeaky new drums, new shoes to bed in lots of noise and not very effective stopping yet, and car pulls to the left under braking, but Bugsy will at least stop YEAH a hurdle overcome.

Engine, fires right up with a bit of choke. Came up to operating temps and feels like it has some power. Max speeds only to about 35 but I cranked him up to 5,500 in second gear and there is power under the bonnet.

Thumping when shifting from the rear end. I don't think it's the driveshaft U Joint after I eliminated one noise with the muffler knocking against things. I had several times where the driveshaft I could feel bang against the tranny tunnel and the rear end felt like it was not tightened down properly. Really felt squirrelly so I kept speed under control.Tomorrow I go through and start with Motor Mounts and work my way to the back and figure out what is loose and was not tightened down properly. It could be anything but will start with the big bolts and work my way around.

Next Step - Getting Seat Belts installed
Figuring out why Generator Lamp is on all of the time, could be generator polarity as this engine was out of the car and was well painted at least. Not sure if original engine or not. Likely not as this has a Cooper S Big Valve Head on it. Or it could be one based on the Casting Number. Twin S2's , a Header with a pretty large pipe on it, and lumpy sounding cam make me think it may indeed have a Big Valve Head installed.

Straighten out front Right Turn signals, I reconnected all 7 wires but something is miswired.as L Turn Signal works but Right does not.

Then get out and drive. Get the brakes bedded in and readjust. Need a different muffler. The one on there is so frigging loud it is really obnoxious. Need to go to see if I can score at the local Harley Shop one of those Bullet Shaped Mufflers off of a Sportster.

The important thing is he's alive and driving. YEAH, YEAH. YEAH!!!!!!!!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Thats a breath of fresh air to hear your positive progress! Keep plugging away and let me know if you need any spares.
Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:banana:

What a great feeling. Even a short drive (with issues) puts a smile on your face, doesn't it.

Gets me motivated to get back to work on Penny.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes even 2 miles added makes me feel optimistic. Unfortunately Bugsy II's auction only drew one bud at $750. I pulled ad with 14 hours to go. I wasn't about to give it away for $750. I'll redo pictures and relish. Have new PS floor plan to weld in and needs a partial read bulkhead. Both parts are included with car. That's it rest of rust has been addressed already. Other than engine and tranny there is a really solid bonnet and rear has been fixed and de-seamed in lead and brass. Hardtop was sold asking $1,900. This car is too good not to restore it. I only have a one car garage that is occupied by Bugsy IV. Need to move this before white stuff comes. Talk to me if you are interested in a BE Project.

sim

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes even 2 miles added makes me feel optimistic. Unfortunately Bugsy II's auction only drew one bud at $750. I pulled ad with 14 hours to go. I wasn't about to give it away for $750. I'll redo pictures and relish. Have new PS floor plan to weld in and needs a partial read bulkhead. Both parts are included with car. That's it rest of rust has been addressed already. Other than engine and tranny there is a really solid bonnet and rear has been fixed and de-seamed in lead and brass. Hardtop was sold asking $1,900. This car is too good not to restore it. I only have a one car garage that is occupied by Bugsy IV. Need to move this before white stuff comes. Talk to me if you are interested in a BE Project.
What does that car look like?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rod,

Rod,

Send me your e-mail. I can't add pics to PM Messages. Bugsy II is currently on a rotisserie PS Floorpan is cut out and ready for the new floorpan to be welded in. Some rear bulkhead repair is needed and there is a complete Bulkhead as well as Floorpan and Floor Replacement and front cross member braces included. All Panels from AH Spares in the UK. Car has already received new Outers, Partial Inner Rockers, DS Floorpan, Partial Bulkhead repair, A Posts replaced, Footwell both sides replaced, new rear quarters, Boot was completely replaced with a new boot back in the '80's. Boot is deseamed and done well in lead and brass. Bonnet has some surface rust and is solid, seams are good and no rusted. This car does not have suspension currently installed. It is a good car that would make a great project. I cannot store as I only have a one car garage. Engine and tranny are not included. BTW, this car came from Burlington and was imported into Quebec Area in the '70's. And my grandmother was born in your fair city. Send me your e-mail and I will forward pics.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
After visiting Jim and going over Bugsy II I was tempted to buy it myself since so much work has been done, but with 2 TR4as and a TR6 in the barn awaiting restoration I just couldn't do it. In fact I was hauling a TR6 frame and drivetrain I bought in Ohio and could have added Bugsey II, but I didn't want a divorce since SWMBO was with me. I paid more than twice what Jim's asking and did more work than his needs and I feel good about what I've invested, so at $2k this should be a no brainier!
Rut

nomad

Yoda
Jim since the car has been sitting for a while I would take some fine wet or dry paper to the contact's in the regulator and there is a possibility that the brushes in the generator are sticky as well. Sometimes just tapping on the gen will get them going but you may have to get in there as well.

Kurt.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Kurt,
i'll give that a try. Got Bugsy back on jack stands today and went through the suspension. Did find that top bolt on the tube shocks needed at least a full turn. Bolts on the spring plates all needed a turn or turn and a half. But nothing I found would account for the clanks and clunks. Could it be an issue with radios arm rods. I have a new set I could put on. Need to look at those as with jack undercut he pumpkin and jack stands under the rear end hard to get St and look at radius arm bushings. I will double check before it comes off thejack stands.

Readjusted brakes and started installing 3 point seat belts. Almost done with drivers side. pS already measured and will go quicker. A little bit closer every day. thanks team for the help.