• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye windshield glass installation

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
For the later Mk 1 with the roof mounting bar and two studs- has anyone installed the glass in a new gasket? I'm assuming that the rubber goes in the frame first, and then the glass is fitted, but a diagram, or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Unless you have done this before, or or can afford br**king the glass, take it to the glass shop. Let them br**k it!
Scott in CA

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The best advice is to find a windshield guy who has never done one and ask him how much he will install a windshield in a sports car frame for. Usually the guy will say oh 25 bucks. Take it to him. In a day or so go pick it up. He will tell you it was the hardest glass he has ever installed. Pay him the 25 bucks. It only works once per glass guy.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Today I am going down to see for the first time a roller I bought for the shell, with extra windscreen frame. I was going to pick up the frame and try it myself next week. Good thing I read this. Sounds like a job for my local glass guy.
And who over here in NorCal wants to paint my roller for cheap :smile:

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Just a follow-up to my original question, for those who don't know where to start...

I managed to install the glass. I'm sure they had a trick in the factory- I'm certain they didn't do what I did, but it worked.

It's a two person job, unless you have a windshield-shaped vise.

The new gasket seems to long- longer than the glass. That's normal.

Fit the gasket into the frame first, then install the glass. Victoria BM sells a $2 plastic tool that will save your sanity. I used dishwasher detergent to lubricate the groove for the glass.

I slipped the top and 1/4 of the left and right sides into the gasket, then I stretched the frame a little and inserted the bottom center. I then worked my way towards the lower corners in even increments, side and bottom towards the corner.

The trick for me was pushing the interior lip of the gasket past the glass from the outside of the window frame. I could not get the lip over the glass by pulling on the tool from the inside. The gasket will take an amazing amount of abuse.

I had researched using the "string" method, etc. Can't see how you do it when the string has to be wrapped in the inside of the circle formed by the gasket. I tried, but could not keep it in position.

The glass was easy compared to the windshield to body seal, but that's another story...

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm impressed - I had asked for help on doing this earlier on the forum. You are the first person I know of on the forum that has done this. I had someone use the string method and we installed the windshield together on my TR6. I chickened out on the Bugeye since I found a guy who works with British cars and did it for $60.
Kevin

OP
L

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the feedback.

Believe me- it was worth the $60 to have it done! Unfortunately I've got an itch to do it all myself...

Michael

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Same here what a job! How the heck did they do it at the factory!
must have been the crappest job on the line
I found that applying poly water a clear wire pull lube was the best thing to slip in in the gasket
visions of buying a second one went thru my head the whole time until it was on the car
never again

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi. I found this old thread and wanted to relay my experience.

I got my parts from AH Spares in GB. Fine quality.

Gasket went into the frame, no problem.

I wondered if it would best to do the bottom first, just because I couldn't imagine getting the glass corners into those deep recesses in the rubber.
Don't do it this way.

I made a couple tools from "hard" wood. Actually it was stir-sticks from a paint store. Not quite sharp on the end, but thin.

I liberally lubricated everything with rubber lube retrieved from the tire machine at the local garage.

Then I did like everyone else says and inserted the top first and maybe a bit less than half the sides. I realized that one of the tools would be better off being a bit more blunt, so I filed it down. This is the tool I used for just about all of the installation.

Then I did just about what ibcfan said and pushed the rubber past the glass from the outside. I worked my way down to the bottom of the windscreen and when I approached the bottom I simply pushed the entire rubber corner past the glass, again from the outside. I never needed to try to pry the rubber past from the inside.

From there the bottom went in easily because the frame flexes a bit, then just pulled it together.

I had previously made a tool for the locking strip on my hardtop window, but it was too big for the windscreen. I simply lubed the strip and gasket, and pushed it mostly in by hand. The wood tool finished the fitment to get the strip all the way under the gasket.

It didn't take more than a half hour.

I had read all about the horror stories on the net, but it really wasn't difficult at all. It's the lubrication. (In danish "det der smøres godt, køres godt") or: That which is lubricated well, goes well. :smile: