• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye vs. Sprite Mk2 / Midget Mk1 Starter Cable?

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
Ok....... Dash in, wipers working I must confess my bugeye is really a Spriget!!!! Among other things my dash is from a Midget Mk1. When I ordered my starter cable I ordered one for a Bugeye. I just went to install it and it is about 3 to 4 inches to short to connect to the solenoid. I see both Moss and Vic. Brit. have starter cables listed for both the Sprite Mk1 and Mk2. I'm not sure if the cables are different sizes or not. Actually, the cables are listed for the 948 and the 948/1098. I have one for the 948. IS THE 948/ 1098 CABLE LONGER?

OP
Ohiobugeye

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
This is my dash, Midget Mk1, not sure if the locations for the holes are the same on a Bugeye dash.

Attachments

• 17880.jpg
    17880.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2,981

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They are different. P/N 2A2085 is correct for all Bugeyes(LHD and RHD) and for a RHD Sprite MK II. AHA6202 is correct for a LHD Sprite MK II.

cdsmith

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I don't know if there is a difference in cables, but....

The right arrow is where the starter is on my Bugeye and the left is the choke (I can't read the "flags" on the arrows). And you seem to have two more switches than I have (the ones to the left of the ignition switch), but kind of hard to see...
Hope this helps.
cd

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I see no reason you could not extend that cable.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I put my MK1 Midget's starter pull in the spot on the passenger side of your photo, (not sure where it "belongs" but I don't really care) It was the most direct run to the "solenoid". I just used a generic cable from the auto parts place, manual choke type cable, $5 or so, cut to whatever length you want. Doesn't have the S on it but at this point, my car is pretty far from the concourse so whatever.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You did mount it in the correct place. Straight run.

bugimike

Yoda
jlaird said:
I see no reason you could not extend that cable.

How would you do that Jack? I would love to know as I have a perfectly good "short" cable I would love to be able to use! I had considered moving the solenoid closer to the firewall, but that would be a real PITA as well!

OP
Ohiobugeye

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
I just took a quick look at the options I have to route the cable and the hole in the fire wall I'm using is the most direct path to the solenoid.I guess I could buy another cable coupling and try to extend the cable or use an after market cable as mentioned above by jvandyke. I'll give moss or Vic Brit a call at Customer Service when they open and check to see if the cable for the Midget/Sprite 948 1098 cable is longer. Again I don't know if the later cable is compatible with my solenoid.Oops, just looked at my cable coupling and it has different size holes on the ends.Jack, how would you suggest to extend the cable?
Don

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can think of several ways but, I think the best might just be welding additional cable on the end of what you have. I don't think the external sheath should be a consideration.

It is in fact just a solid line rather than a cable per say. Get a cheep choke cable from the auto parts store for stock.

OP
Ohiobugeye

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
I found out why the starter cable won't reach the solenoid. I was looking at some photos I had taken of a local Bugeye when I noticed the position of the solenoid mount on the other car. Mine has evidently been cut off and repositioned by a P.O.
The photo of the Primrose Bugeye is the correct position, mine is the other photo. At the top of my photo you can see how short the cable is.Guess I'll use a after market cable and paint an " S " on it.

Attachments

• 17895.jpg
    17895.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,902
  • 17896.jpg
    17896.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2,857

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
My MK1 Midget has it as in your photo. I don't see the difference between the two, both on the front edge of the battery shelf. The angle of the photo makes it look different but I think they're in the same place?

OP
Ohiobugeye

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
They both are in about the same location, but my mount sits at about 45 deg. and the other one is straight up and down. You can see the end of the cable at the top of the photo. If it wasn't for the angle of my mount the cable would probably reach. Basicaly same place but different angle.

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Here you go some up close and personals from my 65 I think it would be the same post.

Mark

Attachments

• 17897.jpg
    17897.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,779
  • 17898.jpg
    17898.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,798
  • 17899.jpg
    17899.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,774

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Actually, though it may look wrong to the bugeye folks, On the LHD MK1 Midget/MK2 Sprite, the starter is next to the tach and the choke is the farthest away on the passenger side. The Midget starter cable is not a direct shot and is longer.

Attachments

• 17900.jpg
    17900.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,798
OP
Ohiobugeye

Ohiobugeye

Country flag
That was what I was thinking, that the early pull start Midgets had the cable on the left hand side of the dash. Thus needing a longer cable. I see that both the Sprite Mk1 & 2 and the Midget Mk1 & 2 use the same cable to solenoid connector although they have a different cable part number.That answers my original question. Thanks for the info.....Great Photo...Nice Dash!

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks, I'm glad I could help in a small way. Here is a shot of the rest of the car. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 17904.jpg
    17904.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,770

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You think it will fit if bent? So use a large cressent wrench and do so.

bugimike

Yoda
Jack, judging by the distance of the cable-end to the solenoid, that's an awful lot of bending!! Maybe a new L-bracket to remount the solenoid closer? Late-model key-activated solenoids are quite different than those on a Bugeye and it looks like a newer type has been welded into that top pic to replace the original BE one!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think so as well but thought I would throw it out for fun.

Think I would just get a longer starter cable, the correct one. Not worth the hassel and you only would need to do it once.