• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye thought

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This as nothing to do with me but was looking at a picture today of an old car with the side opening hood. This got me thinking about forward tilt BE hoods and how you all latch them. Was wondering if anyone has ever tried Square body trunk latches? They would be an easy mod - three holes drilled in the hood - plus a flange tack welded on the inside - two holes on the fender side. They would sit a little proud - though not likely more than a mirror, the hardware and chrome would match.

Anyway, just thinkin is all

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Never seen that option...

BUT what I HAVE seen is Triumph Spitfire or GT6 bonnet latches incorporated into the sides of the FWD tilt BugEye bonnet.

Looks like it was meant to be that way, AND it is period correct.

(I have a spare GT-6 "parts car"... maybe I'll steal the latch assys from it & install them on my '58 Bugeye Racer when I redo it...)

"Cheers!" :cheers:
-Bear-

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I like the idea of the Spit/GT6 latches.

By the way, one thing I've seen is a box-Spridget with the front fenders and hood (bonnet) bolted together to form a single unit. And then set up with a hinge in the front as a "flip-forward" nose.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
J-P,

Trunk Lid Latches. No that would look really strange. Look in the back of MAgs like Classic MotorSprts at the classified. There area couple of advertisers that have all sorts of racecar latches, catches, panel fasteners. The trickest one I've seen used the original rear hinges and a spring and cable release. Cable released two catches.hood spring mounted catches. I've got a picture of it someplace.

On Bugsy I'm using a simple chrome latch the hooks and flips over and tightenns. Mounts with three small screwholes. Keep it small and unobtrusive.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I went with recessed, screw-head Dzus fasteners. Smooth, tight, minimal installation hassle, fairly easily reversible. I just couldn't bring myself to install a Triumph part on a bugeye.

Glen Byrns

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Glen_B said:
...I just couldn't bring myself to install a Triumph part on a bugeye.

Glen Byrns

<LOL> :lol:
It's all in the same family....

(guessing you're not a big fan of the 1500's then...) :devilgrin:

BTW: I'm a BIG fan of using Dzus fasteners, lock pins, & quick-release locator pins. On my '65 Racer with the full-tilt front I have quick-release pins mounted at the rear sides to locate/hold the fenders in place. The rear deck on my '62 Racer is held on w Dzus fasteners. My GT-6 Racer has the stock bonnet latches & they hold FIRM. No need to alter what already works.

-Bear- :cheers:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
BugEyeBear said:
<LOL> :lol:
It's all in the same family....
So true... considering the Bugeye taillights were used on a TR3, MGA, XK120...

So Glen, you've already got Triumph bits on there (or Jag bits, if you want to look at it that way).
grin.gif

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
J-P,

I just had Bugsy out of the garage today, Sunny and 41 degrees. With tonneau on, windblocker in place, got too warm in the car with windows up. I love sunny winter days for top down driving.

To digress, romp with Bugsy ended with a sudden sproinng sound when I pulled into Krogers and slammed the door. That sproinng sound was the slide latch on the bonnet breaking on the DS. Crap!!! A few minutes on internet and I found 2 slide latch type fasteners. BTW I querried using Dzus and found all sorts of latch suppliers.

Aircraft Spruce has a stainless Dzus Latch but doesn't look like enough working length to pull down and snug tight. Price is right though < $3.00 each with a strike plate.

I ended up ordereing an adjustable slide latch from Pegasus Racing in New Berlin, WI. $10.45 each in stainless, with shipping to Dayton Ground $27.00 and change.

In the meantime Bugsy's bonnet definitely looks strange but I should have parts on Monday or Tuesday to fix.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Jim, does he have a chip on his shoulder :wink:

Pat

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
BugEyeBear said:
[

(guessing you're not a big fan of the 1500's then...) :devilgrin:

Not to rat him out, but One of Glen's sayings is

There are Bug Eyes and there are donor cars.

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
I had a Triumph Spitfire when I was in college and autocrossed it through 5 engine rebuilds. (thrust washers and rod oiling suck)I decided it should be used only by the college girls it was designed for. The rear suspension on the Spitfire is a joke and the Midget 1500 engine is the same one I learned to hate back in the 70's. I'm just not the forgive and forget type.

Glen "BMC" Byrns

As for that taillight crack.... I prefer to think that I share taillights with Shelby's Cobras.

Glen

bugimike

Yoda
Not to be a spoiler for the rest of you, but Glen is right, the Spits etc. post-date the Bugeye, ergo THEY are using Spridget bits, not the other way around (PS I KNOW Jags, Morris' etc. of the same vintage use the same lights!).

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Pythias said:
...There are Bug Eyes and there are donor cars...

:lol: <span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"You Guys CRACK ME UP!!"</span></span> :lol:

-Bear- :cheers: