Doug,
There's some great stuff in both of those links. Rhodes' document is what I used as well. I did basically the same thing as shown in CJD's post for calibration except that I used an optical tachometer (about $30 at Harbor Freight)to get a real time readout of the drill speed to compare with the indicated speed on the speedo.
Here's the chart I made in excel:
Here's my speedo results. Not perfect, but close enough. I did not play with the magnets, I just adjusted the needle position.
[TABLE="class: grid, width: 330, align: left"]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]Input RPM[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Indicated[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Actual[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Error[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Error%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]590[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]20[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]24[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]4.0[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]20%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1006[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]40[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]41[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]1.0[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]3%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]1438[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]60[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]59[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-1.4[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-2%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]2075[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]90[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]85[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-5.4[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]-6%[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]