• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye heater cable

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Heater cable comes through fire wall to tin can that holds the flapper valve. Problem: The controls on the can appear to be reversed. The cable end where the trunnion goes to secure the cable end is on the inside. (toward the back of the car) The clamp that holds the cable sheath is on the outside. (toward the front of the car.) To me, that's backward. By the way, the tin can won't turn end for end as it won't fit into the core unit opening.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You really do need to find at least a Haynes manual for the car. As simple as they are, building one without some instructions requires a fair amount of experience. I don't want to discourage you in any way but there are unexpected pitfalls ahead. Although the forum truly wants to help and advise, sometimes we don't fully know the situation without being able to actually see it. At least I should say I sometimes don't and I can't speak for others. Current question is a perfect example. If it doesn't work as is then I would try reversing the connectors but don't force anything.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bayless. Thanks for all your help and tips. This is a mechanical issue not connectors which would suggest an electrical problem. I was hoping someone that might have had this issue with connecting the cable to the flapper valve might have a solution. I have the Haynes manual, the Sprite workshop manual, the factory body parts book, the factory mechanical book, and the Moss parts catalog for references. Otherwise I'm just a guy off the street having a blast trying to problem solve issues with a 60 year old car that has problems and guys like yourself are so helpful and knowledgable. And I do appreciate it.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well it sounds like you are in good shape for manuals after all, my apologies. I just reread you note about the "can" yet again and think I have a better understanding of the problem now. Yes, it does sound backwards. I don't have a bugeye and the flap on my later car is at the blower. If I remember right the bugeye is at the front, an entirely different setup. Is that whole thing removable so you can turn it around some way? We need to get someone with an actual bugeye in here to help on this one. My shop is just a couple of blocks from our local guru and he often has a bugeye or other earlier car that has maybe the same setup in the shop. I can go by and try to learn something.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My set-up is as shown in the body service parts catalog. The exploded pic doesn't show details very well. I've looked at this dozens of times but while reading your post I looked one more time and had a voila moment. If I turn the can upside down that puts the controls in order. The problem is standing on my head to affix the cable. I won't say I'm getting used to that but I do expect it now. If you can ask your local guru about this that would be a good thing. Thanks again, Bayless.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If lucky and he has one in the shop, I'll try to get a photo too.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Talked to my expert today. He doesn't have one in the shop so no photo but he did verify that the can mounts so that the actuator is on the bottom. He also verified that it is a challenge to hook it up. He did use somewhat stronger language though. So sounds like you have it right now. He also said something about 3 screws and one of them that you just can't reach.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That sounds like the three all right.

Desert Rat

Country flag
Your center can is upside down, the clamp that holds the cable outer covering should be on the bottom rear.
The job is easier if you remove the fan assembly, gives a little more visibility, not much more but some.

OP
R

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
D. R. I discovered that. ( See post from yesterday1:20) Whoever designed that was smoking funny stuff. Getting it adjusted so it functions properly is also a trip. The guys at the factory who got in trouble with their boss likely got this kind of job of putting them together all day.