• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye heat shield color?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am getting ready to paint the carb heat shield for my Bugeye. Can someone tell me what color it was painted originally? I am guessing either satin or semi-gloss black? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bugeye heat shelds were same as the engine, that GI green.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Sounds like the same sort of deal as the original gold colored emblem on the back. From what I have heard, the gold paint peeled off quickly which is why they later went to chrome. Was the original green paint heat proof? Is the reason it peeled of because of its proximity to the exhaust manifold?
Kevin

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
ichthos said:
Sounds like the same sort of deal as the original gold colored emblem on the back. From what I have heard, the gold paint peeled off quickly which is why they later went to chrome. Was the original green paint heat proof? Is the reason it peeled of because of its proximity to the exhaust manifold?
Kevin

OMG, not the chrome Sprite emblem again! AFAIK, they were always gold painted and never chromed. Heat resistant paint on the heat shields? No way! I don't think the boffins at Abingdon cared too much about long lasting engine looks once it reached the end of the assembly line. Not sure how to make it last today, maybe use something like Lizardskin on the back side of the shield?

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
So, Rick, what did you do with your heat shield? Are you saying the part about the emblem being chrome is not true? Another member had told me that that story when asked why there were two choices. By the way, mine is gold.
Kevin

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The chrome vs. gold rear emblem is one of the great debates of Spridgetom. My opinion is that all original Bugeyes had a gold rear emblem and whatever chrome ones are out there came after the MKI production ceased. Regarding heat shields, burnt, rusting, peeling Morris Green was original after the first start-up. If you want to keep your original green as long as possible, go with Lizardskin on the side closest to the engine or add some non-original asbestos replacement on the back of the shield. Anything else is likely to cook off.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I painted Miss Agatha with Moss engine paint, no probs in 3 years or so.

Still looks good. Spray cans are wonderful things.

My take on the chrome vs gold debate.

All were painted gold over chrome at the factory. Over time the gold wore off and vola chrome.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Being unaware of this chrome boot-arrow controversy, I chose the chrome because I like the way it looks. Gold appears nowhere else on the car and seemed a bit blingy for my tastes.

From a graphic design point of view I have always wondered about that arrow anyway. It looks like something designed as a class assignment by a London School of Art freshman. It is goofy looking and inconsistent in every way from the phony heraldic crest on the front of the car (I say phony because it is neither the Austin family crest or the Healy family crest, so I presume someone in the art department whipped it up.) In today's corporate graphic standards obsessed world there would have been at least some consistency between the two.

That said I put it on anyway.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
As to the emblem,

Having had the opportunity many years back (late 70’s) to ask both Geoff Healey and Fred Draper the question about the differences of the rear emblem. Both said the same thing.
The arrow was originally designed as gold and red, however there was a good deal of trouble with the paint adhering to the base metal. Because of this, the best solution was to change them to a chrome finish.
Both Fred and Geoff commented it was a cosmetic issue on new cars at the dealerships and the warranty of cars recently purchased by their first owners. The chrome finish was a fix to correct an issue. The later finish was standerd at a later date and was sent after the supply of painted emblems had expired.

Dug

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice to hear from you, Charlie! How are you doing? I never knew there was a controversy either. I met a guy who said he hung around with one of the Healeys at many of the various parties he attended here and flat out asked him about some of the oddities. Don't know if all the stories are true, but most of the time money was the driving force for the odd details.

I am trying to keep my car as stock as reasonable, so I did put the original gold boot emblem and bonnet emblem. I am only making changes where it make sense (like putting in a late model Sprite screw on oil filter - can't get my hands in there to change the other one.)The only place I purposely cheated was by painting my engine a medium blue. My wife wanted pink, and this was the compromise.

Kevin

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Kevin, I'm great. Got to work on my BE last weekend. Finally got my carbs dialed in, timing and valves set right, sorted out the PCV valve situation, and and had time to put about 50 miles on it--the most driving I've done I bought it in October of 09. (It does not help to live halfway across the country from my car.)

Next projects: R&R front wheel hub with stripped stud, replace steering rack boot, R&R fuel gauge sender unit. After that I will begin to work on purely aesthetic issues, such as the interior.

Best,
Charlie