• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye fits on the lift!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Earlier this year I bought a 4-post lift from BendPak (the GrandPrix model). One of the reasons I picked this lift is that the measurements seemed to indicate that the Sprite would fit on it, if only just. Today, with the help of my wife as guide, we tried it out and the car does indeed fit! Not much room for error, but all 4 tires are solidly on the ramps.

And here she will stay, for the next year or so, while I work on rebuilding all the systems. Everything other than the body needs to be rebuilt. I've been waiting until I could afford the lift, as I really don't like crawling around on the concrete anymore.

Will probably start with the rear axle, get it off and go through it. Planning to switch to a 3.9 rear (to go with the Datsun 5-speed I have).

mgbtoaz - 1.jpeg

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Office chairs without arms compliment the lift. Roll around under and be comfortable when being a contortionist for the tight places.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm so excited. I've had this car since 2013, and the bodywork has been done since 2016. Waiting on me to get to it, and in some ways waiting on this lift. Between work and gigs I don't have a bunch of free time, so I need to make this as simple to get to as possible. I also admit that restoration work is not my favorite, so best to remove obstacles -- like being lazy and not wanting to crawl around on the ground. :nopity:

Now I have no excuses, so hopefully y'all will see some real updates and progress over the next while.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
nice

jholmgren

Country flag
Fantastic - thanks for posting this. I've been researching 4-post lifts for my LBCs. The Bugeye being the smallest is my 'reference' car. If it fits, my Spitfire and TR8 will fit for sure. Nice to have actual photographic evidence that yes, it will fit.

It's been a few months - are you still happy with the Bendpak ?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You should have no problem with the Spitfire or TR8 -- my Morris Minor fits easily, just drive it on. Sprite is tight (best loaded on with a spotter) but fits, and is incredible narrow.

I'm still happy with the Bendpak, though I have had a few issues. One of the safety catches was hanging up and not working properly. Bendpak fixed it quickly. I've also got a small leak in the hydraulic cylinder at the fitting, need to call them on it. So far Bendpak has been very responsive with my questions. I will say that a friend has the same lift and his has been flawless.

I may eventually add the bridge jack to make removing wheels and working on suspension a bit easier. We'll see.

To sum up, I would definitely purchase from them again even with the few small issues.

jholmgren

Country flag
You should have no problem with the Spitfire or TR8 -- my Morris Minor fits easily, just drive it on. Sprite is tight (best loaded on with a spotter) but fits, and is incredible narrow.

I'm still happy with the Bendpak, though I have had a few issues. One of the safety catches was hanging up and not working properly. Bendpak fixed it quickly. I've also got a small leak in the hydraulic cylinder at the fitting, need to call them on it. So far Bendpak has been very responsive with my questions. I will say that a friend has the same lift and his has been flawless.

I may eventually add the bridge jack to make removing wheels and working on suspension a bit easier. We'll see.

To sum up, I would definitely purchase from them again even with the few small issues.
Excellent - thanks for the response. I emailed them a question yesterday and they called me last night about 7:00 p.m. I couldn't take the call, but I liked that they followed up so quickly.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you do decide to buy one, call them and order it. I was able to get a but of a price break just by asking

jholmgren

Country flag
Just wanted to say thanks again for the confirmation on fitting a Bugeye! I finally got a 4-post lift in November and I'm getting started on my Sprite after a long delay.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the lift! They're a game changer for sure. If you're looking for jacks to use for working on the suspension, the Unijacks I linked in my restoration thread seem to be working really well. A nice fir for the 4-post.

jholmgren

Country flag
Congrats on the lift! They're a game changer for sure. If you're looking for jacks to use for working on the suspension, the Unijacks I linked in my restoration thread seem to be working really well. A nice fir for the 4-post.
Thanks! I'll look into those Unijacks. Never heard of them, but just did a quick web search. Definitely one of those "why didn't I think of that" products.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I had the same thought when I first heard about them. Been trying to figure out how to best use the jack bridge that came with my lift -- how to use a jack and a stand in the same place. Apparently someone else had the same thought. :smile: