Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm trying to locate a bonnet latch for a front tilt set up. I've seen the ones used on replaca Cobras, but have not found what I'm looking for. I would like a latch that mounts on the firewall and is cable or remotely operated. Has anyone installed or seen these?
Thanks, Rut
It will require some fabrication, but you can go to the junkyard to find some cable operated clasps and pins. Or ... check out some of the streetrod catalogs for offerings.
Trevor,
I checked out the street rod catalogs and didn't see what I wanted, but will keep looking. The one on the FF Cobra looked perfect and I could hide the bonnet release under the dash, but I can't find it on their site. Does anyone have a BE that's done this way?
Thanks, Rut
I used to have a picture someone set up with dual latches mounted on the hinges. That's the ideal thing but I went with McMaster Carr SS Draw Latches. They are adjustable, have a lock tab, mount with a couple of short sheet metal screws and you're in business. It works for Bugsy my '68 with a BE Bonnet.
Trevor,
I found those latches in my web search and it's not what I'm looking for. The one on the FF Cobra mounted on the firewall and the bonnet had a U shaped piece the fit in the latch. The U shaped piece mounted to a bracket that was welded to the bonnet and was easily removable. The latch itself was slotted and mounted with 4 bolts with a release pull that went thru the firewall. Pretty neat set up.
Thanks, Rut
Trevor,
Thanks for looking and I'll give FF a call. They don't have it on their site, but I'm sure they have them for sale. I should just buy a FF Cobra and convince my wife that it's the only place they're available...I really like their cars!
Rut
It seems to me that they are simply bear claw latches with u-shaped strikers. I'm not seeing anything pre-made, but it would seem simple to fab up. Honestly, I'd go to the junkyard and look at some hatchback and SUVs. Those are plentiful and cheap and easy to remove.
It seems to me that they are simply bear claw latches with u-shaped strikers. I'm not seeing anything pre-made, but it would seem simple to fab up. Honestly, I'd go to the junkyard and look at some hatchback and SUVs. Those are plentiful and cheap and easy to remove.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.