Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
The original hinge gaskets were 30 wt tar paper.
If you see any roofers in your area, ask them for a scrap of 30 wt tar paper.
This is what was used for the pedal box too.
Frank is correct. The original was tar paper. I made mine from 2mm dense cell foam from a craft store. I has concerned about the foam absorbing moisture. I soaked a piece in water for several days with zero absorption. This foam is very similar to the replacement gaskets commercially available for the pedal box and blanking plate.
Thanks. I am pretty sure I already have tar paper in my attic somewhere. I am still curious as to what the purpose of the gaskets are. Do these function in helping the bonnet keep its curve, as Jim stated, or was he talking about the rubber strip that goes in the channel that the bonnet rests on?
Kevin
I was talking about the rubber strip at the back of the bonnet that supports it against the channel. The one from McGregor fit well while the one from MOSS and VB need to be stretched to make fit and are very challenging to install.
I can't remember if I bought my rubber seal from Moss or VB, but it does not fit well. I need to order new seals for my factory hardtop, so I will try one of MacGregor's rubber strips and see if it makes a difference. Thanks, Jim
The word is that if MacGregor sells it, it fits. I have his bonnet seal and door seals on my bugeye, and I am very happy with the fit and quality. He works best over the phone. Just give him a call.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.