• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye 948cc Compression

steventhebugeyeguy

Freshman Member
I bought a 61Bugeye Sprite to restore and got it home on Wednesday night. Today I tested compression onthe 948cc that is out of the car and has not run in 20 years. For the last two days, I have been turningthe engine by hand (with a wrench) after putting a little Marvel Mystery oil ineach cylinder (the engine turned prior to adding the oil). The compression is as follows (starting atthe fan, front of engine) #1 = 140, #2 = 185, #3 = 150, #4 = 150. Any thoughts on the 185 reading in #2? Should I worry about the #2 high compression nowor wait until the engine is back in the car and running? Thanks for the help

Steve

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hi Steve. I'm moving your post to the "Spridget" forum since it's a technical question about a Bugeye. The "New Members Introduction" forum is where you can make a post to introduce yourself to the group.

nomad

Yoda
I'd bet that there is a little to much oil in number 2. Never have to worry about a single too high reading........it's always the single too low reading.
Rest of the number's look good. In general they should all be within 10% of one another.
I'd fit it as is and get used to the car. You may want to go to a bigger engine.

BTW....Welcome!

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome as well, some of us would love to be able to post those kind of compression numbers. There is a thread around re. Waking a Sleeping LBC Engine. You need to be sure that oil pressure is up and oil pump primed before attempting to start this engine. Pictures, we want pictures. This group can help to solve almost all of your problems. LBC related or not. Our advice is free. We love to help solve problems.

OP
S

steventhebugeyeguy

Freshman Member
Thanks Kurt and Jim. I guess I should be happy with these numbersconsidering the engine has been sitting for 20 years. I too was thinking that the high compressionon #2 might be from a little too much oil, or maybe carbon on thecylinder. Regarding Kurt’s thought aboutmaybe a bigger engine, I also have a 1255 with transmission. The engine is totally torn down though. I think for now, I’ll stick to the original948 and see how it goes. I will definitelycheck out the thread regarding waking a sleeping LBC engine, prior to firing itup. Here is a link to the pix I have ofthe car so far. Iris Blue is theoriginal color, which I’m considering for the respray, when ready. I appreciate the welcome and will be seeking advice from this group often, I'm sure. https://s614.photobucket.com/user/stevenwhess/library/Bugeye?sort=3&page=1#/user/stevenwhess/library/Bugeye?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1378942304752027827010748980235

Steve
Salem, CT

HHAS

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Steve,
body appears to be in pretty good shape from pics or us there Bondo hiding under the paint? Good find if not. Be sure to check our rear spring areas and rear bulkhead for rust issues. Otherwise this one will go back together pretty easy.

OP
S

steventhebugeyeguy

Freshman Member
Jim

The body is pretty good, both rockers and partial floors will have to be replaced, but other than that, it's fairly solid. I know there is some bondo which I'll remove while doing the body work. Hopefully I will not find too many surprised, but I probably will. It's been painted two times over the factory paint job - while sanding one small area I've found the current red, then white, then (I think) the original Iris Blue, then red (I assume) factory primer, then metal. Thanks for the tip on the rear areas to check for rust - bulkhead is good, but I haven't inspected closely the rear spring areas.

Steve
Salem, CT