• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Brand New Generator Low Voltage

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'm hoping the replacement will solve the problem. Usually the cutout is solid and final. It clicks closed on startup and snaps loose a couple seconds after shutdown.

One thought...the original controller has settings for the contact gaps, which is separate from the adjustments. Is there a setting for gap on your controller?

OP
TAS525

TAS525

Silver
Country flag
Thanks John. Yes, I just used the old numbers to set all the gaps on the new regulator and cutout. Even though these units come ā€œpre-adjusted,ā€ the Moss videos (A few years old by now) recommend setting the gaps according to the Service Manual, which I did. Having spoken with the Tech this morning, however, he assured me the new control boxes do not require this. Iā€™ll try to ā€œplug and playā€ with the new one. Weā€™ll see. Drove the car (finally) this evening for about 30 minutes or so. Ignition warning light dark at idle, but gradually increased in brightness with higher revs. Ammeter still barely on the plus side (No Load) and Warning Light out at shutdown. Battery was at 12.5 as well.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like something is wired backwards. The light should go out, not get brighter.
Electrical problems are a royal PITA but at least it sounds like you have some knowledge. Keep at it. You'll find the problem sooner or later.

OP
TAS525

TAS525

Silver
Country flag
Sounds like something is wired backwards. The light should go out, not get brighter.
Electrical problems are a royal PITA but at least it sounds like you have some knowledge. Keep at it. You'll find the problem sooner or later.

It really is screwy and I would agree with this, except for the fact that nothing has been re-wired and the generator has been polarized for + ground. This entire project was supposed to be a fairly simple remove and replace (What job isnā€™t right?!). The Lucas Fault Manual mentions this abnormality and suggests . . . wait for it . . . cleaning the cutout contacts! Iā€™m afraid if I ā€œcleanā€ them anymore there may be nothing left! Iā€™ll try again, however, while I wait for the new - NEW - control box. Yā€™all are fantastic with your ideas and suggestions and Iā€™m so appreciative. Keep ā€˜em coming!

OP
TAS525

TAS525

Silver
Country flag
I shouldā€™ve titled this post, ā€œHow I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Alternator!ā€

So, I just realized I never finished up this thread and itā€™s almost been a year!

Long story short, I gave up.

I found a local TR guy (Duane Bailey, who operates West Michigan Imports) only 30 minutes up the road from me. I asked him to order the TR Rescue Alternator kit from British Wiring and complete the install, along with a couple of other minor projects.
He did great work at what I believe was a reasonable price.

I was so disgusted with how much time I had wasted, I just couldnā€™t bear it any longer and had to ā€œbite the bulletā€ on this one!

So glad I converted over to the alternator. All electrics now operate normally without a struggle and Iā€™ve been worry free for the last couple hundred miles!

Ha! Letā€™s hope it lasts!

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is often the way struggle - struggle- then go with the modern flow. I did the same in the end.
I really donā€™t get electrickery my brain doesnā€™t see any logic to it !

I followed advice from the TR Register forum and managed to do the conversion myself - easier than I thought( I was already neg earth) and far quicker than all the messing about trying to fix my problems.
Now stops me worrying about charge levels as I have an elec rad fan.