• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

brakes locked

Susan Lybolt

When driving I heard a left rear sequel. After stopping at inlaws. the brakes seemed to be locking up. Able to move to the garage. Could it be the emergency brake?

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is a rubber brake hose just in front of differential that goes to a "Y" that then distributes fluid to both rears. That hose can swell internally such that pressure on application will still push fluid through but when release brake pedal the fluid does not reverse in hose and brake can lock, or drag until it slowly releases the pressure. Otherwise, just pull wheel, see if you can get the drum off, fiddling with handle brake lever as well as adjusting nut may get it free. If none of that works, open bleed valve and let some fluid out, the less the better. Once drum comes off just examine all springs, even take apart and just put back together if nothing found wrong, if little fluid released bleed that one drum and give it a try. In Jag had bad diaphragm in power booster temporarily lock all brakes at once. Assume the other three wheels spin easily so at least you have safe bet that will be resolved with making sure all springs are okay, rebuild wheel cylinder and replace that rubber hose, small $$$ and that should do it.
Jay '65 3000

OP
S

Susan Lybolt

Thanks, just got back on the road. Had the hand brake on a lot today. Seems that it is not a taught as it was. Perhaps I snapped the cable. would that lock the rear brake?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks, just got back on the road. Had the hand brake on a lot today. Seems that it is not a taught as it was. Perhaps I snapped the cable. would that lock the rear brake?

Not likely check rear brake hose-?

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It could be a leaking brake cylinder resulting in fluid on the surface of the drum. Amazing how this can make a wheel lock up. I had it on the front right and the car was undriveable, the wheel locked very time I touched the brake.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Susan:

I would try having a shop install new riveted linings on your shoes and then arcing the new linings to the drum.
Maybe just arcing the existing shoes to the drums may work?

RickPA

Country flag
I'm not sure from the posts if both rears are locking or just the left. If just one side is locking check the return springs for the shoes to see if one is broken or fell off. If it's both rears take a look at the return spring for the handbrake (behind the right rear on BJ8, not sure of other models).

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
The rubber hose not the metal line. The rubber swells internally and acts like a check valve allowing fluid under pressure to go to the brakes, but not allow it to return back when the pressure is released. Over time the fluid seeps back and will seem like the problem is gone but will soon return again after use.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I had this problem for years, occurring randomly. It was caused by a wheel cylinder that would get cocked and jam. I really don't remember how I solved it, but it had something to do with the spring clips that hold the wheel cylinder in place. I do remember that the cylinder was able to be moved a lot before I replaced the spring clips. Although I agree the rubber hose could swell and restrict fluid return, it would affect both brakes. I'd recommend replacing the spring clips. The e-brake also would affect both brakes.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
It's a solid brake line to the wheel.

You're not reading what people are saying. On top of the axle, on the passenger side (LHD).The rubber hose connects the metal brake line on the frame to the metal line on the axle.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
IIRC you are recommissioning a BJ8 that has sat for a while. There are three rubber brake hoses, two in the front and one in the rear, that can swell internally and cause the issue you're discussing. It's standard procedure to replace them all. Here's a link from Moss: https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=111359
If you replace them first and still have a problem, it's no big deal as they are relatively cheap and will give you a stiffer pedal. Replace them, bleed the brakes and report back. If you still have a problem we can investigate further. A lot of Healey problem solving involves replacing one piece at a time until we find the fault. Steady on.

Country flag
The ones with the stainless steel braiding will not allow the hoses to expand when the brakes are applied. Not a problem for the first decade but as the age they can flex reducing the pressure to the slave cylinders.