• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Brake servo installation

Tronch

I want to install a brake servo on my BT7.

I have all the spares but I d´ont find any picture or diagram on how to rerouting the brake pipes.

Is a LHD with the brake fluid bottle on the left front.

Any help?

Thanks

May also require increasing the size of the balance tube as non servo cars had 3/4 " and with servo increased to 1".
This was early 61. Bob

Hi Bob,
Balance tube? Do you mean the master cylinder?

BlueRidge2 said:
May also require increasing the size of the balance tube as non servo cars had 3/4 " and with servo increased to 1".
This was early 61. Bob

N
Me TOO! I have never heard of a balance,"tube", pipe unless it involved V8 engines and dual exhausts.-----Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Hi Tronch,
I don’t have any photos of how the pipe routes from the master cylinder to the 3 way connector. It basically goes from the MC down the scuttle brace to the frame near the front lower A-arm mount. From there, it runs along the backside of the front frame cross member next to the fuel line. Then it goes up the other scuttle brace to the 3 way connector mounted on the inner fender. Hopefully someone will have some pictures of what I just described. The first photo I DO have is of the 3 way connector, which links from the MC to the servo and also has the brake switch mounted to it. The second photo shows the 4 way connector which is mounted closer to the front of the car. Hopefully there is a welded nut on the scuttle brace for you to attach to.
4622-3waybrakevalve.jpg

4623-4waybrakevalve.jpg

Attachments

• 4623-4waybrakevalve.jpg
    4623-4waybrakevalve.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 82
Well Keoke, I got one of them balance pipes on my exhaust, and it ain't no V8! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

GregW said:
Well Keoke, I got one of them balance pipes on my exhaust, and it ain't no V8! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonono.gif Nasty things. Shoulda siamesed em, or you can take it out now since you not using the V8---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Since Tronch's car is a BT7 without servo it is possible that it is a tri carb model that has a balance tube or pipe that connects the 3 intake manifolds together. On non servo cars this pipe was 3/4 " in diameter and on cars equipted with a servo the pipe sized was increased to 1". I am not familiar with the 2 carb setup. For a picture of this tube look at the manifold set up in the moss catalog. Bob

Hi Bob,
Ah HA! I see what you’re talking ‘bout now. I was thinking you were referring to the bore sizes of the servo vs. non-servo master cylinders. On my old duel carb manifold (BJ8), there is no balance pipe. Both SUs fed into a common log.

There for a while I thought he was talking about Proportioning valves Greg. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif However, Bob I do not know why the balance pipe size was required to change unless it was thought necessary not having the one way valve in the early kits.--Keoke-?