• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Lines for Bugsy - What do I need for a Flaring Tool / Rear Discs for Bugsy

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK Lee, That is the setup that I have installed. But before that I tried the detrol flow valve and it did not work. I just tested mine with the wilwood proportioning valve today, but didn't get a chance to finish the testing. I have the valve turned all the way out at the moment. How many turns in (clockwise) did you go before you felt the rear was contributing without locking prematurely.

Hi Trevor
I started midway down as a starting point. I THINK I went down twice more while testing. Each adjustment was not a full turn as the valve is on the rear bulkhead and I can reach it from under the car while on the side of the road. Then Murphy's law started in. Long story, but the first part was a flexible stainless brake line on the left front let go and the snow ball effect kicked in. Line was installed on the way back from The Lake of the Ozarks along with the rear shocks from the auction. All done at my bros house in Heber Springs. And then things got worse with his health and all.

Thanks for the info as I was hoping the project was viable. And as I read it, it is. Now to get some enthusiam back this spring as my bro wanted me to make the sheet metal part of the cold air intake out of aluminum and change the design some more. Will see...

Country flag
Eventually, I want to install bigger brakes on the front and upgrade to dual MC with adjustable bias bars. People are quick to tell me that the spridget brakes are fine for a road car. And for the most part I agree. I've only experienced hot and fading brakes a handful of times. But the last time it happened was the first time I honestly thought I was going to have to put the car in the ditch to keep from taking out my friend's car.

I currently have the proportioning valve located in the cockpit so I can dial it back if needed.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
About 7+ hours in the garage today. Let me just say new Brake lines are a PITA to install. Got the short RF Bent up and installed. The union/ brake switch fought me all of the way. Will only do fronts now. Rear
main line will wait until all comes apart for paint. Will need to modify rear pipes for new backing plates anyway so will wait on those. Fingers feel major bruised after dealing with trying to get threads started on the brake switch cleaned out and then lines threaded into place. Used the old line as a template but that got me only so far. Final fit and mounting were a bend in place to get it to clear RF Shock. Let my fingers heal overnight and then back at the front suspension and LF Brake line tomorrow. RF Suspension is now hung and bolted down, springs installed, need to grease up new wheel bearings, install caliper and brake line and reinstall steering rack I removed for access to Brake Lines. Pleased with progress. RF axle took an extra shim under the trunnion for a total of 3, LF only 2. RF when trunnion nut was torqued down did not want to move. Now both axles swivel freely for nice light steering feel. Pirated one off of the old axle. Never throw anything away.

Feel pretty good but tired. 27-28 degrees in the garage and snowing outside, ski bibs, long johns, sweat pants, 2 sweat shirts, and a cap kept me toasty warm all day. I needed to loose the jacket as I was getting too warm. 60 Degrees in Dayton tomorrow. Will be much nicer to work on Bugsy tomorrow.

New gas tank got a bung/drain installed by the radiator shop. $37 well spent. That will go in over the next few weeks as I deal with the rear end rebuild. I will be driving by the end of April.

Anyone planning on rebuilding a BE or a Mk 2Sprite/Mark 1 Midget and need a Drum Brake front end. The Kingpins and Wishbones on Bugsy IV are in really good shape and could be of use for someone who is starting a rebuild very inexpensively. Absolutely no fore/aft movement. there are bolt in place replacements. No front end to tear apart. Also 7/8 Master was new along with new Wheel Cylinders and Shoes. Same for the Rear wheel cylinders and shoes. New Brakes all around were installed when I got Bugsy. All of the parts and pieces are there. I added fluid for the first time in September, system again had never seen fluid until then. I drove Bugsy 7-8 times on sorting out trips around the neighborhood and he went back up on jack stands in late October. All you need to rebuilt Front Suspension and virtually new brakes all around is available for a very good price. And I mean a very good price. Talk to me and let's make a deal.

New Front Disks and 3/4" Master and later brakes are going on for now with Rear Disc coming later.

Country flag
Man ... you are hardcore. If the metal surfaces in the garage go below 40 degrees I do not even attempt to work on stuff. It was warmer here today but instead of working on the Sprite I was trying to sort out a door latch issue in my daily driver.

I also had a set of good front drum brakes. After trying to give them away for about 5 years I finally tossed them in the bin.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I know Trevor I hate to throw some perfectly good parts away for someone going for a totally original car look. And believe me the ski bib overalls were the trick. Back at it later today.

I like Blue Max's trick to adjust bias. It makes sense.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
So, I got a new set of brake pipes for my 60 Bugeye....but the rear pipes do not have the bubble flare, just a double flare. So I am going to borrow a fancy tool from a pro mechanic near here and modify the flare to fit.

Have people put on that regular double flare to a cylinder that normally would take a bubble (which is what came off, and promptly broke the pipe)??? Doesn't seem to be the correct fit.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Not sure I see how you can turn a double flare into a bubble.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
My flaring tool comes with a Die to do one flare and then you remove the die and then use the Flaring end to spread the tip out. worked for me.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have been making bubble flares for the Vauxhall - reviewed many Youtube videos in advance. there's a lot out there.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP Stay warm up there. The cold even got us here this am 48 and strong winds but back to 75 and sunny for the Super Bowl Game on Sunday. No 20" of snow to shovel here. Covid Shot Friday AM finally.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP Stay warm up there. The cold even got us here this am 48 and strong winds but back to 75 and sunny for the Super Bowl Game on Sunday. No 20" of snow to shovel here. Covid Shot Friday AM finally.

Thanks Jim, hard to think it was only a year ago we were together in Tampa. Seems like a lifetime ago. Just a couple of inches of snow here - and not recent. Cold and windy tonight though, but, the groundhog said an early spring. hurray!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP going to wait until next year to visit? Kate and I both scheduled for vaccinations this week. Bugsy still not finished but out and about, Passenger Seat got installed last night finally. Still lots of fettling to complete.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Not sure I see how you can turn a double flare into a bubble.

That's my point! Short of cutting it off and starting over, maybe with a longer pipe.

That stinking Moss set of pipes came with all double flares! WTFFFFFF !

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP going to wait until next year to visit? Kate and I both scheduled for vaccinations this week. Bugsy still not finished but out and about, Passenger Seat got installed last night finally. Still lots of fettling to complete.

Maybe? Totally aside from travel concerns the border is still closed for the foreseeable future - we are booked for two weeks at Bonnet creek next December but, who knows? We are also not likely to get vaccinations until late summer - and the whole country is experiencing delays. (note to self, if you want to have a country ready for a crisis maintain manufacturing capacity in the country) (Fun fact, when I was in the Military reserves in the mid 80's the field radios they used were so obsolete that that the only source for spare parts was behind the Iron Curtain in eastern Europe - riddle me that! Batman)

will keep you posted.

Scargo

Country flag
Peter ... probably not what you want to hear at this point but, BugeyeGuy has a complete hydraulic brake line kit with all the necessary fittings for $145.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Peter ... probably not what you want to hear at this point but, BugeyeGuy has a complete hydraulic brake line kit with all the necessary fittings for $145.
Maybe in desperation I will go do that! I like Bugeye guy - didn't check him when I ordered. Did have a problem with them earlier but it was fixed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I need to pay closer attention to you Spridget guys! I could have loaned you a bubble flair kit, Jim. Have a couple sets here. If you find yourself in need of something like that again, PM me!! We could meet up in minutes! Not so with that guy up over th' tree line, tho. He needs to get his backside down here where we get to see th' ground all year long... :wink:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I need to pay closer attention to you Spridget guys! I could have loaned you a bubble flair kit, Jim. Have a couple sets here. If you find yourself in need of something like that again, PM me!! We could meet up in minutes! Not so with that guy up over th' tree line, tho. He needs to get his backside down here where we get to see th' ground all year long... :wink:

Do miss the sight of those palm trees! Hopefully soon enough though. :cheers:

Rhamman

Freshman Member
Regarding tools for flaring hydraulic lines, I found a really great tool that works almost perfectly, almost every time. Every other tool I have tried failed almost every time. These are available used and new on ebay. They are virtually indestructible, used ones are likely as good as new. Short video I made because I was so impressed with it

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I borrowed a flaring tool to make the proper flares for my rear brake job. Worked fine.