Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Those are the same part as used on the Mini. Mini Mania has a kit (their part number 17H7620 that includes the adjuster and two of the wedges for $19. That's a good deal when you consider that Moss sells the individual wedges (part 56) for $13 each.
Doug,
Thanks for the lead! I can't deal with $52 + shipping for a very simple part like this. I hope to find a used set and I'm not in a big hurry.
Thanks, Rut
The parts from MM are well priced as a kit but you have to pay shipping and then there is the wait time. I see you are in AL. If your experiences are anything like mine, any part ordered from CA typically takes 9 business days to make it to the east coast.
Doug,
Shipping from the west coast is only about 3 to 4 days and I'm in no rush since the car is still on the rotisserie. I'm rebuilding components in between welding and body work and brakes are on my list.
Rut
Ok, I've done this conversion.... hindsight... probably wouldn't do it again. The plumbing issues are the big pain without much gain in the braking area.... the emergency brake rod redo wasn't fun... also, careful bending of the brake line to its new position is a must. My opinion is there is so little actual use of the rear brakes its not worth the effort for everyday driving...
Oh, remember from long ago.... The 1/4 and 1/2 spring hub design is slightly different too... So is the backing plates of course... This combo make's the wheel cylinder's rubber boot rub against the enter part of the hub... not good... If you do go ahead make sure that whatever year you choose as a unit you buy EVERYTHING under that design. Note, that there are quite a few design changes over the span of the spridget production..
I just picked up 5 backing plates yesterday from a buddy in Cincinnati. One was completely loaded and simply a bolt on. Hey I now have a living /fully complete rear brake assembly I can look at for reference. 2 of the backing plates came with 2 wheel cylinders mounted on them. He told me they were from a late Spridget but I've never seen a Spridget backing plate with 2 wheel cylinders on each plate. Any idea on what they might be from?
me either... I'm not a hydraulics genius so in my simple mind I went and duplicated the whole disc brake system from an early spridget unit in the BE... That being said, it wasn't all that easy or simple..... Building the better box is the 6 month deal turned into 2 yrs or longer start to finish project... Keep it simple stupid.... I have a sign in the shop to keep reminding myself!! haha
Jim,
you got me there...don't know of a Spridget with 2 wheel cylinders except for the front. I put my late brake plates on, complete with all the brake parts sans tappets, and tried the hubs I have. I Bugeye set, one '68 set, and one '73 set...they all fit well with no interference. It's close and once everything is torqued down there may be a little rub. I do have interference between the E clip and the axle and will replace them with circlips.
Rut
It appears I have only 1 usable backplate. Got a call into local shop MG Automotive here in Dayton to see if he has anything in his "back room" I can use.
OK looking for a set of rear backing plates from a 3/4" Disk Braked 1098 or 1275 from 67 - 74. Anyone got a set, preferably with an unfrozen adjuster screw they are willing to sell. A set with all hardware would be even better.Thanks.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.