• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bracket help

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So on the final few pieces of the frame I ran across this. I am trying to release the cable to the handbrake from the frame. The bolt will not clear the frame to come out, it almost looks like it was reattached backwards will the bolt in the wrong location. So I may have to cut it and replace it. Does anyone know something I don't? If I cut it what size do I need to replace it?

35285908221_413682e6c2_b_d.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bolt is HB0711

Hexagon Head 1/4 inch UNF 1 3/8 "

Cheers
Tush

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, somehow the bolt got in backwards. Cut the head off and push it back the other way. The bolt size according to the parts manual is an HB.0711. That's a hex head, 1/4" UNF (28 tpi) by 1 3/8" long.

Oops...a little late to the party... :wink-new:

The bracket looks fine.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Great thanks for the info. What are you looking it up in?

Yeah, somehow the bolt got in backwards. Cut the head off and push it back the other way. The bolt size according to the parts manual is an HB.0711. That's a hex head, 1/4" UNF (28 tpi) by 1 3/8" long.

Oops...a little late to the party... :wink-new:

The bracket looks fine.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That bolt should come out even the way it is in by lifting the nut end up. I think your bracket got smashed tight and will not let the bolt wiggle. I will look at my car and make sure, but I think you can juice everything up with WD40 not the Teflon spry ( and I did have a can) and pry open the bracket some and get the bolt out or like said cut the mother.
steve

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Great thanks for the info. What are you looking it up in?

I looked up the part in the "Triumph TR2 & TR3 Spare Parts Catalog" (which has a part # 501653), available from TRF at the stupendous price of $64.97. I bought mine probably 30 years ago. Or, I've seen pdf's of them come up online, and I also have a pdf version that I got on a disc, but I don't remember where, but it wasn't very expensive. The pictorials in the catalog showed the orientation of the bolt. The catalog gave the part #HB.0711, which then got looked up in the "Standard Triumph Hardware Catalog" which give the specifics. I have a pdf of that which I got online.

Edit: I see that there is a CD version available on E-bay for $10.99 - free shipping. 100% feedback seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR...ash=item1a2d7b5c1f:g:kSkAAOSw37tWDUt1&vxp=mtr

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Both the spare parts catalogue and the hardware catalogue can be founds as free downloads on the net. Randall is good at posting links...

I think the spare parts catalogue shows the bolt the same way that you have it JP. As mentioned, your bracket might have got a little pinched somewhere along the line.

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Use the flat blade of a screw driver to pry the bracket wider at the bottom...then the cable will pull out. Once the fat part of the cable is out, then you should have more room to deal with the bolt.

OP
Tr3aguy

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks John but the cable currently sits above the bolt. Hence my dilemma of cutting the bolt to release the cable. Since the cable is in pretty good knick I see bolt destruction in the near future.

Use the flat blade of a screw driver to pry the bracket wider at the bottom...then the cable will pull out. Once the fat part of the cable is out, then you should have more room to deal with the bolt.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
What John said, it does not matter if the cable is on top. Pry open the bracket and get things wiggling around and the bolt will come out and the cable will drop out. Have you undone the cable at the E- brake? If not, undoing the clevis pin there it will help things get moving also. I am going to drive over and pry it open for fixing my lock if you do not pry it open soon.
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, to clarify, you should be able to pull the larger sheathing out. The thinner cable will still be there , but hopefully the little extra room will allow the bolt to wiggle out. It wiggled in some how, so it should wiggle out!?!