Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Here is a photo of the boot/trunk lock from my TR6.
I need to replace the lock tumbler mechanism. I assume that I need to remove the central bolt seen in the photo, then undo the two screws to release the locking mechanism. Is that correct?
Looks right! Be careful on the lock tumbler so you are aware it may just fall out in a few pieces. Oil it up and clean the bolts and screws so that it comes apart with a little ease and control. I'd clamp it so that main spring doesn't fly on you, might be a little frisky and awkward to hold.
Looks right! Be careful on the lock tumbler so you are aware it may just fall out in a few pieces. Oil it up and clean the bolts and screws so that it comes apart with a little ease and control.
Yes, thanks. I just completed the job: a good one for a wet evening. After removing the tumbler enclosure (the part screwed to the assembly above), I had to then remove a split ring, which released a spring and the tumbler itself. Then I drilled out the pin which locks the lock part to the body, and pulled the pin and tumbler out. Then it was a simple matter of putting in the new tumbler, securing with a pin, and assembling "in the reverse order".
These mechanisms are deceptively simple. I realised that by design it is not possible to lock the mechanism when it is in the open position, and that is assured by the position of the "finger" at the end of the tumbler, which prevents the tumbler being turned sufficiently far into the locked position that the key can be removed.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.