• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boomers Too Old for Sports Cars

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think that report will apply to our old classics. Most of them are cheap enough to be bought as a hobby without breaking the budget like a Porsche or Corvette. As old as I am, I would not be interested in any new sports car. And what did my 47-year old son just buy for a little more than $5K? A 1992 Alfa Spider. At the last Caffeine and Carburetor meet, there had to be about 1,000 spectators of all ages ogling the cars. It is true that all hobby clubs are losing members, from aviation to stamp and coin collecting. As long as there is discretionary income and our LBCs remain affordable with spare parts available, I think that boomers or whoever - at least some of them - would take the plunge and buy one. But it is up to us and companies like Hagerty to keep interest up - plus a movie or two featuring our cars wouldn't hurt - e.g. Alfa Graduate and Aston Martin.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Of course I find this post after buying my latest LBC a month ago. My life long trend, to buy high and sell low will not be broken. Hopefully my other trend, to have fun anyway, will continue. Here it is:
road trip.jpg

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think there will always be tinkerers. As long as there are people who have the desire to turn wrenches, LBCs will always be a "go to" car because of their simplicity, and how much fun you can have with them once the tinkering is done.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Actually being on that tail end of the baby boom, and desiring many 60s Sports cars which have steadily crept in value faster than my disposable cash (like certain Alfas and Jaguars, and Porsches) it would not break my heart to see prices slip in the next few years as the the older boomers age out of interest/ability/inclination to own the cars. Not wishing it on people (getting too old to enjoy the cars) but as most of us are old enough to know here, the inevitable March of time is what it is.

D

Deleted member 8987

brightcove video player. Something my security software has blocked for years.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Actually being on that tail end of the baby boom, and desiring many 60s Sports cars which have steadily crept in value faster than my disposable cash (like certain Alfas and Jaguars, and Porsches) it would not break my heart to see prices slip in the next few years as the the older boomers age out of interest/ability/inclination to own the cars. Not wishing it on people (getting too old to enjoy the cars) but as most of us are old enough to know here, the inevitable March of time is what it is.

One of issues not too far down the road (I think) is if a country like China starts to allow the import of classic cars - I suspect you will see a massive jump in price - heard of a car show in China with a million attendees!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Two different buying demographics, the usual aging yuppie vs. the old car nut.
Sports cars have been a niche product for decades with few being available at a given time - and we keep losing them, like the Honda S2000.

I like both old and new - my daily drivers are either a Pontiac Solstice coupe (tuned to give ~375 BHP) and a BMW Z4M coupe - 333 bhp @ 8,000 rpm (not as quick but sounds wonderful).

I don't think there is any limit to a real sports car fan as to period of car they may enjoy.