• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Book: "Triumph Cars in America"

J. Christian

Book: "Triumph Cars in America"

I just finished reading one of my xmas presents: Michael Cook's "Triumph Cars in America." Cook was with Triumph in America from 1958 up to around the end of Triumph in America. I recommend this book not just to Triumph buffs, but to all LBC enthusiasts, as it also deals with the rise in sports car popularity in the States, the making of British Leyland, and decline of the British sports car industry both here and abroad. Very interesting stuff!! For instance, I had no idea that the tr6 was just an evolution of the tr2- I thought it was a completely new car! Read this book!!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Re: Book: "Triumph Cars in America"

I have read it too. It IS a really good book but it goes into GREAT detail on a lot of things. Triumph fans will love it but LBC fans might just want to borrow it and skim.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I've nearly worn out my autographed copy that I bought from Mike a year ago. It is a treasure, and for you Spitfire fans Mike has an earlier book that is a definative work on the Spitfire, GT-6 genre. Entitled The Triumph Spitfire it was published in 1981 by TAB Books Inc. ISBN 0-8306-2079-6. Having met Mike at the Vintage Triumph Rally in Breckenridge, Colorado August 2001 I am heartened that he is getting deserved recognition from this astute audience. Mike is the editor of The Vintage Triumph, the quarterly slick mag of the Vintage Triumph Register, this publication alone is worth joining VTR for.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

I have heard nothing but good things about the book. Anyway, a question for anyone who has read it - how much coverage of the sales and history of the sedan models (ie. Mayflower, Renown, Herald, 2000, etc..) does the book have? I know most of you guys are sports cars guys, but my favourite Triumph is the 2000 Mk I sedan from the 1960's and I am also researching history of all import cars into North America (including non-sports car models)

Thanks

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

I haven't seen this book, but it looks like a good one to burn up part of a BN gift cert I just got for Xmas. There are no reader reviews in BN or Amazon yet (anyone want to write one?), but here's the intro that both have for this book:

Book Description
As with most postwar British sports cars, a large portion of the Triumphs produced in the 1950s and 1960s were exported to the United States. As a result, the demands of U.S. customers essentially defined what a Triumph sports car would be. This automotive history tells the colorful tale of Triumph's successes in the States-how the marque was established, its dealer network, promotional and marketing efforts, racing ventures that starred legendary drivers like Stirling Moss and Bob Tulius, profiles of U.S.-exclusive models, and, finally, Triumph's sad defeat under the umbrella of British Leyland. A huge collection of black-and-white photography, much of it archival and not seen in print for decades, imparts a sense of this British marque's jolly good run in the United States.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag

You guys quit diddlin' around and get the book. It's worth the price for any LBC enthusiast. As for specific models, it discusses everything that was imported by Triumph and some that were not if they contributed to those that were. ie the Vanguard. Mike also discusses the Ferguson tractor connection and its relevance to the well being of the car business. The index references 11 pages to the 2000 and 2.5 which doesn't include the pictures. E-mail Mike at mlcooknj@msn.com and he can tell you how to get an autographed copy like mine.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag

I certainly do plan on buying it, however I'm broke after all my Christmas spending, and I'm working on a deal with a guy who is selling some classic British car and motorbike magazines (13 years worth!), however it is going on my list of things to purchase in the near future.

youngsmith

hmmm. I think I owned this book about two years ago, but I'm not exactly sure. The book that I did own was loaned to a guy who I also gave a car to, last I heard, he sold the car and he hasn't returned my calls in quite a while.

If this is the book I'm thinking of, it had a lovely section on the TRS... man what a find one of those would be.

Tony

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Youngsmith,
You may have owned a copy around 2 years ago but it would have had to have been hot off the press as it was published in 2001 around midyear I believe. The book does discuss the TR3S at Le Mans. I would recommend it as it was written by someone intimately involved with LBCs from this side of the pond.