• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Bondo

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hmmm. I don't think I tucked mine in :cool: I'll have to check that next time I look at it.

Cheers
Tush

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Since you guys started with Bondo as the topic: I started using fiberglass (kitty hair, short strands) first on any dent area. Theory is that this is waterproof, and then very thin coat of bondo on top. To keep the bondo thin so there is no cracking in the future. Of course, my goal is to beat out as much of any dents as possible prior to adding any filler. By the way, I usually get my projects media blasted to bare metal first, often have the blaster primer the whole car. I sand down with 40-80 grit to get bare metal for the fiberglass. So far this method has worked for years for me. But I am no expert.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Jerry

Thank you

This is a sample of the PO Fiberglass work. Thought it could do structural repairs.
inner sill drivers side OP work.jpg

I had not thought of using the kitty hair product to fill low spots but it seems like a good idea. Will keep it in mind if I have any more areas that need it.

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I think your DPO is related to my DPO. I found a dent in a rear fender that was larger than my fist. He never tried to beat it out, just filled it with bondo. And many more examples.

Jerry

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That work went right across the drivers side firewall and most of the passengers side as well.

May try your trick on the Tonneau saddle to Boot lid. It is a new lid made in England and the front edge of the lid does not match the saddle. Don't think it can be beaten into shape. At least not by someone with my skills. The dip in the lid just inboard of the edges is about 3/16" higher in the middle so I think I can re-contour the saddle to match. Open to suggestions.

David