• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bolt painted

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
This is a kinda purist question, but does anyone know if the bolts that hold in the pedal assembly box to the firewall are painted body color.
Steve

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
sp53 said:
This is a kinda purist question, but does anyone know if the bolts that hold in the pedal assembly box to the firewall are painted body color.
Steve

Hello Steve
Is this a sidescreen car? If so, the body shells were painted prior to final assembly assembly. The pedal boxes should be gloss black and the attachment hardware should be natural finish. IMHO

My TR250 was like this also.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry the vehicle is a 61 tr3. I guess I am not so sure, I think that they had the large box in at painting and then later they put the actual pedal box assembly in that was painted black. However, I am not totally sure I was hoping for a picture.
steve

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steve that is beyond purist that exceeds anal

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
The pedal box and its bolts in my '54 TR2 were in place when her body was originally painted. I was the first one to break them loose and disturb the original paint.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
That's not anal, anal is when VTR docked my friend's concours TR4 for having cadmium plated grade 8 body bolts holding his body onto the frame. Really being anal is when I told him that they would see them. He came out a distant 4th place. This happened a number of years back.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks all and I did see that in Bill P. book the older tr2/3’s had the bolts painted body color. However, the later green tr3a he shows (that is fully restored) used plated bolts. I think they used knew bolts. The problem I ran into was the condition of the box. I removed it when I had the car apart and painted and had it all painted body color. I want to put back the way it was. A local body shop supplier here will match paint and put it a spray can so that I can spray the bolts. Oh Thanks Bill I needed that because I usually roll in that purist direction. I remember years ago talking to a guy at VTR that had just finished a black tr2. We actually discussed the different embossments on the bolt heads, now that is retentive. Some have “Auto R “others have different names like Crann,anyway I cannot think of them off hand. I have taken apart a few tr3s over the last 35 years and saved the body bolts and again I was talking to this guy who sells tr parts and he wanted them really bad. So go figure.
Steve

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I used to lose points at VTR and TRA because of all the stainless steel bolts I had under the hood. At TRA in Auburn Indiana in 2003, I lost extra points because the judge not only noticed that they were bare stainless, but they also had no "acceptable" British bolt name embossed on the heads of the bolts. When I had the car re-sprayed in 2007, I used all original TR bolts where visible and after having them "clear zinc" plated, I sprayed the heads black and then screwed them all into place.

The master cylinder box on my early 1958 TR3A was secured with black painted bolts from new. Now it's back that way.

BTW, I ddn't lose any points at VTR in 2007 because of thse bolts under the hood.

Attachments

• 19605.jpg
    19605.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 137

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Don,

I don't know how you do it.....I definately could not be a concourse kinda guy. I can most definately appreciate it and admire cars that are restored to that level or are original survivors. It is always nice to know that I have examples to look at so that I know what my car is supposed to look like :smile:

I look forward to seeing you and your car in person one day soon.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd