• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 wind screen top weather strip

Country flag
Help. When they re-did the hood, I think they installed the rubber tub weather strip backwards. They face the tube forward. The top does not close properly. I turned it so the tube part is back and it seems to seal better. I cannot find any info or photos on this. Anyone know what is proper. (I know will Roger knows this with great pictures. He's the go to man. But all help will be appreciated.)
Thanks
TH

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well till you get them "Roger " Pictures I will tell you that you turned the seal the correct way.---Keoke-- :laugh:

I still think you did----- :laugh:

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I still have my original top on my 67 bj8, So I will have to be the go to guy this time....LOL Ok, The Rubber tube is positioned at the front, With a 1/4 gap between the rubber tube and the leading edge of the top itself. Also there is a 3/8 gap between the fuzzy seal and the aft part of the tube. Hope this helps!

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
drambuie said:
The Rubber tube is positioned at the front, With a 1/4 gap between the rubber tube and the leading edge of the top itself. Also there is a 3/8 gap between the fuzzy seal and the aft part of the tube. Hope this helps!

Got to agree with this man :yesnod:

Bob

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks, that helps a lot. The 3/8" gap confuses me. My old one didn't have such a gap. The top fin of the wind screen doesn't fit in the gap does it? It would make sense to have the tubes on either side of the fin to stop wind and rain. I'm at a point where this section has to be taken apart anyway.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Thanks, that helps a lot. The 3/8" gap confuses me. My old one didn't have such a gap.

Mine does not either

The top fin of the wind screen doesn't fit in the gap does it?

I don't know nothing about a gap

It would make sense to have the tubes on either side of the fin to stop wind and rain.

Yep and mine is flush against the front side of that fin don.t leak either. Course now that don't mean it is right.--Keoke- :laugh:

I'm at a point where this section has to be taken apart anyway.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Are you saying the weather strip tub is on the out side of the fin (outside the car)? The weather strip with the "fuzzy" stuff should be on the inside of the car and then you'd have the fin in-between.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah TH All the " Fuzzy Stuff" on mine is on the inside.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Keoke said:
I always thought you were warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GregW said:
Keoke said:

Sounds like a personal problem to me! laugh

I always thought you were warm and fuzzy on the inside.

REID!! where is that danged moderator can't never find him when ya need him.-

--Keoke---- :lol: -

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

That's a nice comment, I'm sure Keoke appreciates it! lol

Bob

cheers

Now ain't that a real Mate for ya.--Keoke-- :wink:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Help. When they re-did the hood, I think they installed the rubber tub weather strip backwards. They face the tube forward. The top does not close properly. I turned it so the tube part is back and it seems to seal better. I cannot find any info or photos on this. Anyone know what is proper. (I know will Roger knows this with great pictures. He's the go to man. But all help will be appreciated.) Thanks TH

Hey TH,

The guys here did a great job (as usuall) explaining the correct way to install the rubber bulb seal. The tube (bulb) should face forward as the shop installed it.

If the top frame has a good tight fit at the windscreen, and the furflex (or Bristleflex, which is the product I used) makes a good seal, you may not need the bulb seal. My top has an excellent fit (oh I spent a lot of time to get that) at the windscreen and I don't need the rubber bulb seal. (I placed the bulb seal where it should be, for photos for you)

Here's some photos.
These are from one of the top frames I recently purchased in my pursuit to get a better fitting top than I had before. It's a mazing that I came across a top frame which looks like it had the orginal Everflex and orginal rubber. These photos show the how the rubber bulb was glued.

The last photo is the bulb seal I purchased from Healey Surgeons. It is much softer than what I received from Moss. You can see the rubber is spong like and compresses nicely. That may help your situation TH.

The furflex makes a seal at the inside of the windscreen. The rubber bulb should make a seal between the back of the aluminum front rail and the front of the windscreen edge. Trial and error will show you where to postion that rubber bulb edge. I don't belive that one needs to place it according to messurements of what a manual says, but rather where your car needs it be, in relation to how the top fits the windscreen.

If you're ever in my neck of the woods, you're welcome to spend a day in my man cave and we could work on it together.

Cheers,
Roger

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
These photos show in order:

1. Rubber bulb seal only
2. Bristleflex only
3. Bristleflex and bulb seal
4. Bristleflex rubber seal against windscreen
5. Close up of corner lip to windscreen
6. Close up of lip running along the windscreen.

The Bristleflex seal at the windscreen is good enough, that I don't have any air noise nor does any water enter. I did not need the front rubber bulb. Sometimes I get lucky.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks Roger. They did have the bulb/tube forward and the flange part back as you photos indicate but the top will not close properly and wind comes through. The front end raises above the chrome on the wind screen while the sides are tight. Could the bulb from Moss be too thick?
TH

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Thanks Roger. They did have the bulb/tube forward and the flange part back as you photos indicate but the top will not close properly and wind comes through. The front end raises above the chrome on the wind screen while the sides are tight. Could the bulb from Moss be too thick?
TH

I think part of your situation is the Moss bulb. I ordered theirs and it was larger and harder than the one I got from Healey Surgeons. Compare your bulb to the photo I posted to see what you have.

If you're getting air past two seals, then you may need look at the top fit.
You've got fun times ahead of you.

1st thing to address is why the top is not closing properly.
Lots of areas to look into. Where does the frame want to fall over the windscreen without pulling on it in order to clamp it in place. Is it centered? How much pull is needed to clamp it in place. How closely does the aluminum inner rail and the outer lip curve mirror the curve of the windscreen inner lip and outer chrome surround? Maybe the fix is simple...different rubber bulb and bend the outer aluminum lip to follow the curve the windscreen. You'd be relyin on the outer rubber seal to do all the sealing though. I'd still look into why the furlex is not making constant contact. That's a more involved fix. And we always look forward to those good times :smile:

Is your top guy working on this, or is this now your project?

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks again, Roger. Now my project. I'm on the second top from them and they blamed the wood bow so I got new one through BCS (it lines up well) but didn't fix the problem. I'll try to contact Healey Surgeons.
TH

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:iagree:

I think ALL of your trouble is the Moss bulb.

Yep go to MCGreggor in Canada and get the right stuff--Keole-- :hammer:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
TH,

I'm showing the Healey at the Clayton Derby & Car Show this Saturday, LINK here.

We sometimes show up at the same shows. If interested, and you'd like to show your car also, I can bring the rubber bulb I purchased from Healey Surgeons, who get them from distributor McGreggor.

We can post a sign, Hey it's British, of course we're working on it.

Cheers,
Roger