• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Seat Thickness

OP
M

Micahde

Freshman Member
I am 6', 230lbs and I have the hardest time getting my legs on opposite sides of the steering wheel. I think my newly stuffed seats are too thick. Does anyone know the proper thickness of the seats on a 65 BJ8?

Blue964

Freshman Member
Country flag
I don't think it's a peculiarity of BJ8s, all the later seats are similar. I had the same problem with my BT7 tri-carb I bought a few years back.
I'm only 5'8'' but have a proportionally long body and just found myself too high with my head protruding above the screen-top, not good!
I had purchased the car from Bill Rawles and he simply suggested that his trim guy take some of the stuffing OUT of the seats. Still looks good and I now sit IN the car and not on it!! Worth a try.

Country flag
I think it was Norman Nock that recommended boring some holes in the seat bottom foams (he had a certain pattern). I've found that the seat foam compresses over time; I've replaced my BJ8's foams a couple times over 140K miles.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
If you take a 2.5 to 3 " hole saw to the seat bottom foam, which you can do without removing the upholstry and do not cut all the way through, you can pull out several cylinder shaped pieces. For me, the result was a softer and somewhat lower seat. I did it because the seat was simply too firm but sitting an inch or two lower was fine with me even though I'm only about 5'7" ( and getting shorter).

OP
M

Micahde

Freshman Member
I don't think it's a peculiarity of BJ8s, all the later seats are similar. I had the same problem with my BT7 tri-carb I bought a few years back.
I'm only 5'8'' but have a proportionally long body and just found myself too high with my head protruding above the screen-top, not good!
I had purchased the car from Bill Rawles and he simply suggested that his trim guy take some of the stuffing OUT of the seats. Still looks good and I now sit IN the car and not on it!! Worth a try.
will do. Thank you.
yes, the wind screen is at my nose.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I took 38mm off my foam and then a touch more before I was comfortable. I did not bore holes in my foam, I think that.it makes it too squashy. I left the passenger seat with full foam and it does not notice that much, if atall.

Cheers

Bob