• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Phase 1 left turn signal [driver side]

jjbank

Country flag
My right turn signal operates as normal, but there is no flashing at the trafficator. My left front turn signal does not work (won't light), but the rear flashes quickly. On the left signal on the trafficator it lights initially and then not at all. I changed the bulb in the left front and no go. What do you think?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like a wire to the front left is disconnected. That makes the rear flash quickly to let you know the front bulb is burned out. Since you changed the bulb, the next thing to check is a break in the wire.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi JJBanks,

I appreciate your frustration as the BJ8 Phase 1 directional circuitry is a combination of prior (Flasher Relay Box) technology complexity and Phase 2 Directional indicator circuitry that can be very confusing. Recently I rebuilt my flasher b ox and became very involved with the this technology on my Phase 1 BJ8 so may be able to assist. Since this will be an investigation to identify the source of your issue, I'd like to ask a number of questions.

First, I presume that if you have a Healey, you have had to acquire some familiarity with its circuitry. To verify some basics, I would go through the following:
1. Do you have access to a early BJ8 wiring diagram (i.e. page 316/317 in the Workshop Manual?
2. Do you have running lights (i.e. parking lights) when you turn on the headlights?
3. Have you checked that both filaments of the 1157 bulb is working?
4. Have you verified that the socket is grounded with a multimeter?
5. Have you verified that their is power at one of the front left socket terminals when switching the Trafficator to activate the left directional?

Since power to the left front comes from terminal #2 of the Flasher Relay Box mounted on the left inner fender within the engine compartment, If would check this terminal to assure power is present at this terminal so if present to identify the condition of the connecting wire.

Good luck and pleas let us know the answers,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Sometimes cleaning the grounds to the turn signals wakes up the flasher.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Time for another plug for Tom's laminated color wiring diagrams - highly recommend the 11x17 size:

https://tomsimport.com/category/new-parts/wiring-diagrams/

screenshot.2136.jpg

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If you do have the flasher relay box on the front inner fender, try loosening up the wires and wiggle them a bit and re-tighten, that may clear the issue for a while. I have found that on my BJ7 the connections need a jolly good clean from time to time and then a coat of vaseline or something to keep the connections clean.

:cheers:

Bob

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi JJBank,

Should we assume, by receiving no answers to the questions posed or feedback to the suggestions offered, that you have resolved your directional problems?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi JJBank,

Should we assume, by receiving no answers to the questions posed or feedback to the suggestions offered, that you have resolved your directional problems?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Followup is important because it completes the information and makes the thread a resource for those in the future with a similar problem.

OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
Gentleman,

I have not yet verified my problem. I ,as most am on my property for the duration. I have been doing other things the last few days. My car is out in the garage. I have found my old mutimeter and I am brushing up on my electrical trouble shooting skills which were only meager at best. I will give you an update. Ray I appreciate your post. I need to do the leg work necessary. To be honest I was hoping for one of those ;" Oh yeah that happened to me, all you got to do is....." I was looking for the easy way out.

OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
Ray,

When I turn my lights on the driver side front running light is on but no power to the light when the left turn signal is activated.

John B

OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
With the ignition switch off and I apply 12 volts to terminal 4 or 8 of the flasher unit I hear the relay operate. When I apply 12 volts to terminal 2 with ignition off the left light does not light. When I apply 12 volts to terminal 4 the right (passenger side light up. Applying 12 volts to 3 , both brake lights light up. Should I take loose the wires at the left front and clean the contacts and put it back together and try it? Remember also when I put on the right turn signal at the trafficator the right signal works but it does not indicate so on the trafficator light on the panel. I've used the tech article from June 2018 by Mike McPhail to do all this. What an excellent article because I just learned this stuff.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi John,

I can appreciate you situation.

To start, I have attached a picture of the Directional Indicator circuitry I created in order to understand the operation of the Flash Relay Box and the, especially convoluted, operation of the dash indicators. Many years back I had converted my BJ8 Phase 1 to negative ground, however, the general diagram holds true for most Positive or Negative ground Pre-BJ8 Phase 2 Healeys and the operation of the dash indicators for all BJ8s.

Directionals on BJ8P1.jpg
In short, one filament of the the 1157 double filament bulb is used for Running Lights (RL) and the other for Signals Lights (in the rear, Brake (BL)or Directional Lights (DL)). When the brakes are applied and the Trafficator set to activate the directionals, it is the Flasher Relay Box that determines whether the signal sent to each bulb is constant on (Brake), or Flashing (Directional).

In your first recent post, you indicated that, with the lights on, your front running light was illuminated. Were all other running lights illuminated as well? When setting the directional to left, was the key on? Did you mean the left RL went dark at when activating the left DL?

As indicated in your second recent post, clean contacts are important and inactivity will promote insulating corrosion faster. Have you verified that filaments of the left front 1157 bulb are working. Also, if the bulb proves good, have you cleaned bulb and FRB contacts, including ground, before applying power to FRB terminal 2 to see if the front left signal filament lights up?

Although we will finish up with the dash indicators, here is a preliminary explanation of their operation. Once the Trafficatior is activated, power is directed to terminal 4 of the FRB and also gated from the flasher to power flashing signal lights. Power is also directed from the flasher to Both dash indicators with only 1 grounded through terminal 6 on a left turn and 2 on a right turn. Since, on a left turn, power is being directed through terminal 2, the right dash indicator has two power lines and no ground. However, the left dash indicator is being grounded through the fight bulb to a ground. Yes, this is convoluted and I changed my setup to be as previous models by adding a ground to each dash bulb and switching power lines on the bulbs.

Good luck and stay safe,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
IMO, besides cleaning the contacts and ground wire connectors as well as the socket wall, it would be useful to add ground wires from the socket flanges to the chassis. The stock ground wires from the bulbs back through the harness to the relay mount are susceptible to corrosion.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since I've read thru this quickly I apologize if I repeat what someone else has said. Ray has shown a very comprehensive picture of the brake/turnsignal relay. I would like to include my drawing of the same relay with the internal circuit path thru the relay. You have stated one definate flaw when you stated that when you put 12 volts to terminal #2 on the relay that the left bulb does not light up.
This indicates that at least one problem is that the path from #2 to the bulb is not right. The wire from #2 goes directly to the bulb so it should light as when you tested it. Check the quality of the #2 connection, then the wire, the bulb, the bulb socket and the grounding of the bulb and socket. This must light up when you put 12 volts on #2 before you go any further.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
forgot to include Picture of relay:

Attachments

• img122.jpg
    img122.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 94
OP
J

jjbank

Country flag
Thank you very much gentleman,

I decided, after closely reviewing the drawings that my problem was simply the power to the flasher bulb via #2 terminal on the DB10 relay. So I took the bullet connectors loose and cleaned all the wires by using sand paper. There was a lot of black soot covering the wires. I reconnected the bullet connectors and voila the turn signal worked as did the indicator light on the dashboard. The answer was indeed simple but hey the exercise taught me a lot. I appreciate all your help.

John B

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi John,

Great news. I would finally suggest applying Dielectric grease over the connectors. The grease is a non-conductive protective grease that easily voids via contact pressure for good contact. I have used this grease for the past 20-years to apply a protective coating that will protect my cleaned contacts from the formation of corrosion in the future.

Happy Holiday,
Ray(64BJ8P1)