• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Fuel pump

M

Member 17500

Some of you may recall my post a few weeks ago requesting assistance with a problem I was having with my BJ8 stalling and then restarting after sitting for a few minutes. Some suggested poor venting at the gas cap and some suspected an electrical problem, but most believed it was a faulty fuel pump. So not hearing the symptomatic whoosh when I opened the gas cap, and being democratic by nature, I opted to follow the majority opinion of replacing the fuel pump (which had been in service for 15 yrs). I do have a transparent inline fuel filter positioned before the carbs and fuel was visible but the level seemed low (although perhaps that's not a solid indicator) suggesting the pump was the culprit. Anyway, I replaced the fuel pump with a new original points type SU pump I had been keeping as a spare. Connected everything and turned the ignition key expecting to hear the reassuring ticking sound of a healthy pump. Nothing. Dead. A DC voltmeter showed current from the lead wire to the ground when the ignition was on, but nothing with the ignition off. So it was getting power. The engine turns over, but of course doesn't run. The instruction sheet included with the pump advised one to clean the points if the pump didn't work at first. So I pulled the cap off the end of the pump and cleaned both faces of the pair of points with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The pump still doesn't work. I still have power, but no function. I welcome your suggestions. Thank you.

OP
M

Member 17500

Good question that may be complex to answer. Yes, there is a grounding strap running from a chassis bolt to the flange on the pump housing and touching a lead against the ground (either the chassis bolt or the bolt on the pump flange) produces a 12V current. But I didn't use the grounding spade connector provided on the housing flange, as my strap doesn't have a spade fitting so I just fastened it to one of the bolts on pump flange. Perhaps the internal the internal electrics are only connected to the spade connector. I'll move the ground and try again. Sounds like a very good suggestion. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Put that pointy thing in your never again cabinet and order an Electronic "SU" replacement pump--:highly_amused:

OP
M

Member 17500

Thanks. Tried moving the grounding strap to the other connector. No difference. But a good thought that was worth a try.

OP
M

Member 17500

That's the direction in which I'm headed. The first pump worked flawlessly for 15 yrs so I expected the replacement to work as well. Not the first bad assumption I've made.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
... I replaced the fuel pump with a new original points type SU pump I had been keeping as a spare. ....
Ok, we've tried the easy one. I take it from your description that the replacement is new, never been used or tested. It may mean that the points have never been adjusted or the diaphragm has shrunk and needs to be loosened. Since I, like Keoke, have solid-state triggered SU pumps, I can't describe how to adjust the points. But, the instruction manual is here: https://www.healey6.com/bulletins/Su Carb Manual.pdf.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Put that pointy thing in your never again cabinet and order an Electronic "SU" replacement pump--:highly_amused:

Most sensible reply I have even seen Keoke make .....X2

Country flag
"... replaced the fuel pump with a new original points type SU pump I had been keeping as a spare"

When not used, the points can oxidize and prevent the pump from operating. Try pulling the end cap off, clean the points lightly with a points file then draw some paper through the closed points to clean off any grit.

OP
M

Member 17500

I take your point. But, as usual it's not as easy as it may seem. I tried without success to find a replacement pump that is morphologically similar to the original so I don't have to change the mounting bracket or the fuel lines, which lost their malleability eons ago. Hoping for a solid state replacement, I couldn't find a similar replacement of either the point or solid state variety for a late model positive ground BJ8. They appear to be available with negative ground but I don't wish to convert the entire electrical system just to accommodate the fuel pump. Moss sells one that accepts either + or - ground, but it doesn't appear to have the same configuration as the original. Nor am I sure that I trust it, as it appears to be an aftermarket product by an unknown maker. Ideas are welcome. Thanks.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Buy a Facet electonic pump and install it in the 'well' by the side of the fuel tank, inside the boot. Use rubber fuel lines to keep it simple. The pump is much better being inside the car rather than outside.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I take your point. But, as usual it's not as easy as it may seem. I tried without success to find a replacement pump that is morphologically similar to the original so I don't have to change the mounting bracket or the fuel lines, which lost their malleability eons ago. Hoping for a solid state replacement, I couldn't find a similar replacement of either the point or solid state variety for a late model positive ground BJ8. They appear to be available with negative ground but I don't wish to convert the entire electrical system just to accommodate the fuel pump. Moss sells one that accepts either + or - ground, but it doesn't appear to have the same configuration as the original. Nor am I sure that I trust it, as it appears to be an aftermarket product by an unknown maker. Ideas are welcome. Thanks.

SU makes an electronic version of the same pump in both positive and negative ground . Looks exactly the same . Even has the "tick" so no one but you will know its not a crappy points one .
Can be found quite easily at AH spares , ahead4healeys , autofarm etc etc .