• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Door Glass

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I'd like to ask for your comments about experiences with door glass (the main, large piece; not the "wing window"/"quarter light") for BJ7/BJ8 cars. Is one source's offerings pretty much the same as the next, or are all of the reproductions not-so-hot and it's worth it to search out originals? Moss Motors has them for $138 each -- doesn't seem that bad really when you consider how few they probably sell... but are they good? Thanks.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI Reid if you are talking about aftermarket glass then I think one bin is just as good as the other. On the otherhand,if you are sourcing NOS glass the panels go for about $300.00ea if you can find one.This latter costly approach just insures that the logo on the glasses all match.---Fwiw---Keoke

Country flag
I cannot say whether they're all the same from the various suppliers but I had to replace both windows on my basket case. I had one original window with a deep scratch in it. Comparing the new (from AHSpares in the UK) with the old showed them to be dimensionally correct and properly shaped with a good fit to the window frame. I've not yet mounted them but I think it should progress without any undue problems due to the glass not being original.

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I replaced my BJ8 driver's door glass with the Moss replacement about a year ago and found the glass to be fine. I actually had a glass shop mount it in the bottom channel piece for me. The fit on the car seems to be as good as the original, which of course doesn't necessarily match up perfectly with the convertible top seal, but that's a Healey.
My original was scratched because the po had put screws in the top rail (arm rest) that were too long. Rolling the window up and down rubbed against the long screws in a couple of spots. I have seen several BJ8's that have the same issue.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
BTW, deep scratches in tempered glass are very dangerous. I had the 'deep scratches caused by a long trim screws' on both windows and one morning while filling the car with gas, the passenger window exploded into many small pieces. My wife was sitting in the passenger seat and was covered by the little bits of glass. Luckily she didn't panic or get injured by glass. I've heard of the glass letting go just sitting in the garage or when driving down the interstate. The drivers side also had deep scratches so I purchased a new set from Moss and they fit fine.

Cheers,
John

ron wilson

Jedi Hopeful
I also replaced the driver glass on my 66 BJ8 a few years ago.(had the same problem with the original--scratches because of screws being too long.) and replacement I got from Moss fits just fine.(one of the few things I have ordered from them that actually fit.