• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bit o' memorabilia found

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
One of the AMC cars I'd sold stands out in memory. A Gremlin. Young lad ordered it with the biggest V-8 it would fit, no carpets, just mats. Bucket seats, standard four-speed gearbox. That thing would go sideways at will. The other salesman and I wanted to get another one to paint up looking like a P.F. Keds high-top and take it racing. Sadly, nobody else saw the humor/potential in our scheme, tho. :sorrow:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Once manned a booth in Greenwich for the American Cancer Society selling raffle tickets for two Porsches - a 928 and a 911 RTarga. I got to drive both of them. Hated the 928 as clumsy, expensive, overly complex, and very sensitive to tar strips, etc., but loved the 911 and would have taken one on the spot. Client of mine has two 928s and loves them. I hope he has the deep pockets if something breaks.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
One of my grandsons worked for a BMW dealer in Tulsa pulling wrenches a few years ago and he said he would never own a BMW! Most owners they dealt with just called them to come get theirs and fix/service it, if it was a couple years old and it was going to take longer than a few days, they just bought a new one! We are talking about the high-end money makers in town. My grandson said the BMWs are nothing but an electrical nightmare, the shop is always full of them for one thing or another. He said one of them they just pulled in the shop and the engine caught on fire! :scared:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A few years ago I did some work for the local Mercedes dealer, not the customer cars but his private collection. I developed a good relationship with the service manager. One day I asked him about a few of the cars seemed to stay in the shop several days. He said they were really having a lot of electrical problems that are hard to find as well as fix.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great cars! - at least until the warranty runs out.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Doug. Most cars are great until the warranty runs out. There's a secret built-in timer in most of them.

But Audi *after* the warranty runs out. Mechanical, electrical, electronic, transmissions, engines, etc. Any thoughts?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think most modern German cars have issues with electrical gremlins after awhile.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Gents - following up on a previous thread about German cars ...

how 'bout Audis of the last ten years or so. Problems?

Someone was recently waxing eloquent to me that Mercedes and other German manufacturers were specing their piston rings <nikasil? > for about 150k km - the average length of the first owner's tenure, the Japanese had to "negotiate" with the manufacturer for a much longer ring life. Maybe was even true.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was referring to the fact that Audis can be really expensive to repair/-
maintain.Very hi-tech machines.
I'd avoid them at all cost.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mythological-detail_grande.png

Country flag
Yeah, I sold Pacers... *sigh*
Yes, and you also got to sell 390 AMXs, Rambler Scramblers, Rebel Machines, SC/360 Hornets, etc. to make up for that!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That is a great picture of a 924, count me among the fans of these cars, they were certainly underpowered but good in most all other ways.
Excellent handling and a nice package with a large hatch area when you folded down the useless rear seat back. Speakingg of AMC, did you know that the Volkswagen 2.0 liter used in the 924 was also used in slightly modified carbureted form in the Gremlin.
20160723_104113.jpg
Here is Pic of my 924 I had a couple years ago, they look much better with the "snowflake" wheels than the cheap steel wheels the early cars had.