• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A BF&G Dampner Seal

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I need a new timing cover seal for a British Frame & Engine harmonic dampner conversion I bought from Ken Gillanders about 20+ years ago. I tried contacting him at his business phone but get cut off after three or four rings. I last talked to him a few years ago and I know he had health problems then and I don't know if he remains in business. The dampner's pulley flange measures 1-36/64 " OD and the stock TR3 seal I have measures 1-21/32" ID, making the seal 3/8" larger than the flange. Does anyone have any info on Ken or BF&E? Any suggestions about a timing cover seal that could work?

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a narrow belt and harmonic damper kit on the 4A. When I replaced the seal, I just took the old one to a bearing shop and they measured it and gave me the correct replacement. The old one should have some numbers on it which identify the internal and external dimensions.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is it possible you have the setup with the MGB damper? If so, there should be a spacer that goes in there. As I recall, the one I got took the standard seal, but he had both kinds.

Last I heard, Ken was at home but not answering the phone. You might try emailing him your question.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I bought the same kit from Ken about eight years ago for my TR3. I'm assuming that you are talking about the narrow belt conversion. If so, I believe that it is the same kit that Moss offers.

If you look in the link below, in the photo you'll see part "1d". That gets pressed onto the damper to make up the difference in the two IDs. I remember having to do that with the kit I got from Ken at BF&E. Or, you could just measure the OD, ID and thickness of the seal you need and find one online.

https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/837-508.pdf

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Rocky, Randal and Art for your replies. Art, the kit offered by Moss uses a dampner/pulley that is pressed over the spacer, but mine has the spacer and dampner pulley with the same ID that fits over the crank. The spacer gets pressed onto the crank first, followed by the dampner/pulley. The latter also has the same OD as the former's flange. I think the seal rides on the pulley flange.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
A closer look reveals that the seal contacts the front of the 1-1/2" OD spacer rather than the pulley flange. The stock seal I have from Moss has a metal exterior band and measures 9/16" X 2-1/2" OD. I couldn't find a a 9/16" seal with those dimensions so I ordered two 5/16" X 2-1/2 OD X 1-1/2" ID seals at under $5 each. If one doesn't fit right, maybe I could double them up? The seals will be in tomorrow morning.

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I have tried SKF #15141 which has one lip (CRW1) and measures .313 wide. The seal does not clear the front end of the kit's spacer sleeve; it has to be a good .5625 wide or more to clear the front edge. Larger widths appear to be no longer available. I am considering changing over to the Moss kit which has a longer sleeve sized to fit a stock TR3 oil seal.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd suggest talking to Ken first. Most likely he knows what you're doing wrong and/or has the right seal in stock. But even if not, he'll probably exchange what you have for something that works (ie the Moss kit, he is also a Moss dealer).

OP
JFS

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Ken's phone rings a few times and clicks off. He hasn't replied to his email.