Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I've got a pint of good ol contact cement that I've used in the past and I have tried the spray stuff...didn't like it. Sooo, is there something else I should be looking at?
Something that sticks better than contact cement and/or is easier to work with?
Yea I tried some of the spray stuff when I restored the car years ago and found it didn’t hold well and found it was actually the carpet backing that it was letting go from.
the plastic that the carpet is made from is almost like Teflon!
i ended up useing snaps in most locations and some contact cement in areas where that I knew I would likely not revisit .
Kurt,
If you go with contact cement, Dap/Weldwood High Temp Landau and Vinyl Top contact is the best I’ve used by far. I buy it by the quart or gallon from a local auto upholstery supply shop and you can buy it online as well. Before you buy give your local auto upholstery supply shop a call and see what they recommend. Also be aware that this stuff is pretty potent and will cause poorly cured paint to lift if applied too thick.
Rut
This is what I used. The "web" spray pattern helped with coverage. I sprayed the carpet backing and the car body, let it set for about 5 minutes, and laid the carpet. I took my time on the tunnel and the rear wheel houses to ensure it was lined up before I put the carpet in place. It won't move once the carpet touches the car. I picked mine up at Autozone. Took about 1 1/2 cans to do the entire interior ('74).
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.