• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Beautiful Restoration--TR3

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm. Not to pick it apart because it is a very nice looker, and I do like the light blue color, but no engine or underside pix? Seems odd.

On his website he refers to it as a 3B, yet it has a 3A serial number...carries the wrong colored nose badge, and I would think it should also have the later style narrow Triumph letters, no?

Missing the side curtain receivers on the door interior. No soft top frame.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
luke44 said:
On his website he refers to it as a 3B, yet it has a 3A serial number...carries the wrong colored nose badge, and I would think it should also have the later style narrow Triumph letters, no?
Some folks preferred the earlier badges, for whatever that's worth. You're right: it's wrong for a TS68xxx car, although that vintage would still have the ribbed letters. Lots of folk seem to think that any late TR3A is a "B"!? :rolleyes:

luke44 said:
Missing the side curtain receivers on the door interior. No soft top frame.
I have seen one or two original "hardtop only" TR3s that had no evidence that a soft top frame, etc., was ever installed, i.e., no holes in the rear inside panels for the screws to hold the folding frame. But that does not seem to be the case with this car, so have some items simply gone astray, or ????

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
They are selling for Substantial amounts in Europe now, most sound cars are around $30,000

Here's mine

6886349863_463e11e9fd_b.jpg

Ash

G

Great pics under the hood and up on a lift.Not.Lack of pictures is usually hiding where the car is weak in appearance.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
.... You're right: it's wrong for a TS68xxx car, although that vintage would still have the ribbed letters. ...

Hi Andrew - yup, you're right. I just double checked my reference material - seems the switch over to smooth letters took place around s/n 72000. So, yes, this one is correct.

Ash- nice looking car.

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This looks like a very nice car. It has been for sale on craigslist for quite some time. Looks to like a very nice restoration. We have seen several TR3's for sale in this price range this year here on the West Coast.
I think this seller may be the one who sold Darrell his TR8.
Gil NoCal

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
At 36k I think it's fair to be picky. (I'd be quite shocked if it brought that.) The commission number would, I think, make it an early 1960. The missing curtain receivers would make one wonder how much attention to detail was actually made. Also don't much like the miss matched interior.
The powder blue is really nice, though. Nice they didn't change that.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
You would suppose before anyone spent that kind of money they would examine the details mentioned here... but you never know.

A friend tells a story of sitting in an airport lounge in Vegas and overhearing a guy talking on his phone: 'Well, I don't know. You want me to pay a million dollars for a car without even seeing it?'.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
.... I suspect the absence of photos is more likely a lack of marketing savvy than a shortfall in the restore.

Possibility, but they also have Healey for sale on their website with lots of pix of the engine bay and the underside. Hmm?

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Enjoyed reading this thread. I agree that no pictures of the engine pay leave me wondering. I think this car was on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and did have a picture of the engine bay. As I recall, it was not that impressive and may have been black.

The asking price makes me think I have a $50K car.

Paul

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There are some pics of the engine bay on their website. Shouldn't have to go digging for them to find them though. Looking at the pics they do have, it's clear why they don't show the engine on the auction. The engine bay doesn't look very tidy for $36K car. The engine bay is painted black, the engine looks messy and it looks like there are ripples or dents on the driver side inner fender. Not what I would expect from a car that is asking that much cash.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Number_6 said:
There are some pics of the engine bay on their website... The engine bay doesn't look very tidy for $36K car. The engine bay is painted black...

The only engine bay pic I saw on their website was in the 'Before" shots -- when it was a mess. Are there also pics after the resto?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, I didn't find that page before. I agree... another restoration badly let down by a poor job in the engine bay (and making everything else questionable).

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Nice looking car condition wise. I guess I agree with you George (after seeing the engine bay) ,it does call into question how extensive the rest of the car were done but it could very well have been a $15,000 car to start with if it were as nice as they say and at $35,000 the owner isn't making any money if he had to pay a professional for the paint ,chrome and interior. I almost hope the market isn't ready for perfect TR3s at $50 grand, that would take all the fun out of one of these. I wouldn't pay a dime for the hardtop either, open air is the only way to go with a TR3, and that light beige interior won't hold up at all given any use. Isn't this a $25 grand car?

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Almost appears as if they were afraid to touch anything in the engine bay.