• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE Side Curtain Fitment

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Magyar said:
mxp01 said:
Gentlemen:

When I purchased my 1960 BE I obtained 5 side curtains in various states of disrepair. I recently took the best set, polished them to a high shine,

Mike Pennell

Mike What did you use to polish your side curtains? I have a set of the Weathershields, but they need allot of work, new rubber and plexiglas. But before I do that, I would like to clean up the metal as best as possible.

Thanks, Magyar

I used a polishing stick that I purchased at Lowes. I don't know the name, but if you go to the area where they sell the polishing pads, it is right there.

Mike Pennell

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
bugimike said:
I thought I posted this before, but I don't seem to see my post :confuse: . It looks to me from that first picture that the side curtains are standing proud at the top of the windscreen frame. This would be caused by the brackets either being bent wrong (I should say, they are too straight!) or are the incorrect brackets. Whether the side-curtains are the correct brand or not, their shape looks very similar to mine, which fit just fine. Compare the radius at the top rear of the curtains to the same area on your top, that plus the actual length of the curtain is what's important for a good fit! You might try stretching the rubber up at the back and rearward across the top to ease that curling, and a little hair-dryer heat might help too!.

My frames are 28 1/4" long (bottom edge), 11" tall. They "stand proud" because the rubber forces them away from the top.
Looks to me like a very careful trimming will get a good fit.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Woops, 10 1/4 tall. Just happened to have one laying here by the computer.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Were there top differences in these early cars? Just bigger frames and less rubber on the aftermarket ones? It "looks" like if I trim the rubber way back, like down to 1/2" or so across the top and down the curve it will fit into the top's flaps without sticking out into the road and still let you close and open the door. Will it stop rain? Probably not.
I'm in the middle of positive to negative ground conversion, taking out the heater box and cleaning things up so this is not a high priority anyway. BTW
the screws that hold the heater box down are not playing nice.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Those screws are a pita. try vice grips on the front ones.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I got 'em last night after they soaked in penetrating oil (usually use PB Blaster but ran out, had some Liquid Wrench aerosol stuff so used it) for a day, then heat, then hammer down with screwdriver, then hit it with propane torch, vice grips clamped on end of big screwdriver, pushed down hard and turned. I'll NOT be putting those same semi stripped screws back in! Whatever goes in will get my mandatory smear of anti-seize too.
So heater box out, battery out and ...new thread begins.

Country flag
I prefer socket head cap screws for that location.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I have to decide what to do about these side curtains. They don't fit right at all. (see pictures above). I can try to trim down the rubber or I can try to sell these and start piecing together/rebuilding the correct ones. Buying them outright for $500 is not going to happen.
Are the ones I have worth anything to anyone? Are they for a hardtop or something? They are taller (11") then the norm I guess. If so, I'll resist the urge to trim the rubber. As is, they are not really usable at all.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not positive but think the taller ones are for hard tops.

GrahamP

They might be for the Healey made hard top, which had larger side screens, but by how much I don't know,
Graham.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Question -

How did you get the old seals out? The seals on mine are hard and brittle on the outside of the frame - and snap right off (they are also like charcoal and leave black marks on anything they touch!). But beneath the frame, in the channels, they are just brittle enough where you can't pull them out in one piece, and just soft enough to bite down hard and refuse to come out. I've been using a small blade on my pocket knife to coax the seal out in thousands of little chunks, but his has left behind little nicks in the aluminum, no matter how careful I am. I guess they won't show when the new seals go in, but [censored], I know they are there!

Is there a more rational was of clearing out the old seals/channels?

Thanks!

Paul Wanamaker

Freshman Member
Country flag
You put the black felt in the track then with two hands and a foot.......

Hehe, you bend the plastic a bit an just fight em in. After in and the glue sets well you trim the felt.
Greetings Jeff,
Can you tell me what glue you used for the felt on your side curtains? Also, how is it that you advise trimming the felt "after" the glue sets?
Thanks, Paul Wanamaker
You put the black felt in the track then with two hands and a foot.......

Hehe, you bend the plastic a bit an just fight em in. After in and the glue sets well you trim the felt.