• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BE Side Curtain Fitment

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

When I purchased my 1960 BE I obtained 5 side curtains in various states of disrepair. I recently took the best set, polished them to a high shine, and restored the plastic windows to a very high state of clear. I also cleaned, sanded, and painted the mounting brackets. Everything looks first rate.

On Friday I received a new set of outer rubber gaskets from Moss. When I installed them I noticed they were slightly oversized and that the fit very loosely in the grooves. I mounted them on the car only to spot a small, but noticeable gap between the passenger window and the mounting post for the windshield. Also, when I drove the car the gaskets quickly worked loose from their channels.

When I ordered the gaskets I noticed read somewhere (but now I can't find exactly where) that these gaskets would only fit on OE sidescreens and that there were aftermarket sidescreens (throuh the likes of JC Whitney for example) for which these wouldn't fit.

I suspect I have aftermarket side screens because they seem just a bit too small.

I looked through the remaining side curtain frams and found two with the stamping "Weathershields REG. Design 883598-600."

Are these ones OE frames? The weatherstrips seem to fit a little better, but before I go through the trouble of polishing, etc, these ones I want to make sure I am on the right track.

Mike Pennell

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Weathershields are OEM
there were several aftermarket side curtains back in the day.
I have a set of Bakers and they are (in my opinion) the best ones ever made.
They come apart so I installed tempered glass in place of the plastic, they also have a stainless rippled spring in the track to stop the rattle.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have two sets which I have not installed. They are stamped DESIGN 883598-600. above that it says WEATHERSHELDS REG. This marking is outside, center, top. I think these are orginal sidecurtins.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks, guys.

I'll start refurbing the weathershields.

Next question: As these don't come apart, how do you get replacement windows in these things?

Mike Pennell

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You put the black felt in the track then with two hands and a foot.......

Hehe, you bend the plastic a bit an just fight em in. After in and the glue sets well you trim the felt.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I put my top on for maybe the 3rd time ever and the "longest" ride (5 miles). Are you supposed to trim the outer rubber around the side curtains to fit your top? There seems to be too much material. Took me a good 5 minutes to tuck myself in when inside the car, reaching through the window and even then I had to really force the door to shut. Curtains want to be pushed out pretty far from the windshield frame and elsewhere. I assume your supposed to tuck this rubber between the two layers along the edge of the top?
BTW got a little run in today, just enough to tick over 4000 miles on the odometer (since a rebuild in '86) 2000 of that this past summer! (at a bit of winter).

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gee, never had that prob. rubber always fit under the outer flap and against the inter one. Wonder if you have the correct side curtins.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Yeah, me too. I'll snap a picture sometime.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Don't fit well, in fact when taking pictures, I noticed the passenger side had popped out from the top completely.
curtainfit1.jpg

curtainfit2.jpg

Driver's inside, I see no markings on the frame. Note the curled over rubber.
curtain.jpg

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
It seems like there's just too much rubber all the way around. I need to know where the rubber is supposed to lay and maybe I can trim it to match. I guess it's supposed to fit into the groove of the top and lay up against the frame, but not squished into the groove like it is. I have to slide the window open reach out and try to tuck it in as best I can, forcing the door shut as I do it. Of course it was cold so the rubber isn't very pliable. Can't be right. And yes, the Harley mirrors have to be swung out of the way to get the door opened and closed with curtains on. The passenger mirror is 1/3 covered by the curtain frame. More incentive for me to eventually go with fender mounts, they look cooler anyway.

If someone has a chance, I'd appreciate a measurement of the width of the rubber as indicated here;
curtainarrows.jpg

Seems like if I trim the top edge down 1/2" and the front some it'd fit a lot better.
I don't know why my picture won't show. I'll try a new post.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Picture won't show up.
Have to go here I guess.
Picture

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Are those the correct side curtins? the inside top alum. should say. "Weathershelds Reg.something 3598-600. There are two sizes.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
No markings at all that I can see.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've had the exact same problem with my side curtain seals. I used two different sets of frames, ultimately getting the correct frame. I, too, am considering trimming the rubber to better fit. I, too, have to hold the window in place while closing the door in order to get the frame to fit against the windshield frame.

I got my seals from Moss. They also don't fit in place along the edge that goes along the windshield. I've have to glue that edge in place.

Mike Pennell

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
I ran into this on my '60 as well. The curtains I had with the two sliding plexi panels had the rubber seals , which were hard and almost brittle, trimmed pretty severely on three sides . I bought new seals, but they were way too small to fit in the channels, and it was clear they were not going to work. I then found a set of the original type and the seals , although a bear to fit, did work. I think I did trim the top rear corner just slightly for a better fit under the hood flap. I have one of each sitting here, and I just measured them. The originals are 10 1/4" tall and 29" along the bottom edge. The other ones with two sliders are 11" high and 28 1/4" long. The aftermarket ones also have different mounting brackets, which are both the same. The rear one on the originals is an "L" shape and runs up the back frame leg. I don't have any idea if the correct seals are available for the aftermarket variety.
Bill

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Indeed, there are two sizes of side curtins.

Magyar

Country flag
mxp01 said:
Gentlemen:

When I purchased my 1960 BE I obtained 5 side curtains in various states of disrepair. I recently took the best set, polished them to a high shine,

Mike Pennell

Mike What did you use to polish your side curtains? I have a set of the Weathershields, but they need allot of work, new rubber and plexiglas. But before I do that, I would like to clean up the metal as best as possible.

Thanks, Magyar

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I'll assume I have some aftermarket ones, no markings and wrong brackets, I keep forgetting to measure mine. So what's recommended, try to get these to fit by trimming the rubber, or try to get "correct" parts? I'd guess the first choice is easier.

bugimike

Yoda
I thought I posted this before, but I don't seem to see my post :confuse: . It looks to me from that first picture that the side curtains are standing proud at the top of the windscreen frame. This would be caused by the brackets either being bent wrong (I should say, they are too straight!) or are the incorrect brackets. Whether the side-curtains are the correct brand or not, their shape looks very similar to mine, which fit just fine. Compare the radius at the top rear of the curtains to the same area on your top, that plus the actual length of the curtain is what's important for a good fit! You might try stretching the rubber up at the back and rearward across the top to ease that curling, and a little hair-dryer heat might help too!.