• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Battery Tenders

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Anyone have experiences with the small "float chargers" like the ones from Deltran? I heard a story several years ago where one brand was having "fire" problems. My Healey does at times sits in the garage. Recommendations, sources, brand, model & prices.
Thanks

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've used a BatteryMinder for years for our MH and the Healey. It desulfates the battery. Works great. The model I have is a 12041, which is no longer made. BatteryMinders are available from Amazon, Northern Tool and a bunch of other places.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a 4 battery charger from Battery Tender taking care of some automotive batteries and a 2 battery Pulse-Tech handling two motorcycles, plus a Pulse-Tech mounted in our Ford F350 7.3 litre diesel with dual batteries that runs off the 12 volt batteries themselves but is supposed to prevent sulphation of the battery plates. I try to fire up The Truck once a week to keep the batteries charged up.
I can't comment on which is 'better' but am satisfied that they are keeping the batteries alive over the storage months. Have a look at the economics, as I picked up a second Pulsetech parallel charger, and subsequently realized two items: I didn't have a real application for it; and (considering the price) I should've just planned on replacing the batteries a bit sooner that the desulphating feature might have required. And - please note! - this is NOT a criticism of Pulsetech!
Battery Tender seems to be a pretty standard maintenance charger in the shops around here for motorcycle batteries.
If anyone is aware of any compararison test between the various products - please share! Thanks, Doug

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All four cars that I have in storage over the winter have NOCO genius chargers hooked up to them for the winter . They around 40$ CAN for a single but you can buy 1 charger with multiple outputs . They come with alligator clips or pigtails for a hard wire connection with plugin or you can get 12v cigarette style plug in adaptors and extension cables etc . Work like a charm and have a convienient red/green light system on them to tell you whats what .
And they can even be set for 6V too if needed .

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
if you're unsure, buy whatever is on sale and hook it up and don't worry. Dang near any form of battery support is better than nothing, and - per Healey nut - Cdn Tire had the Battery Tenders on sale here last week. Doug.

Country flag
if you're unsure, buy whatever is on sale and hook it up and don't worry. Dang near any form of battery support is better than nothing, and - per Healey nut - Cdn Tire had the Battery Tenders on sale here last week. Doug.

Except ... An ordinary 'trickle charger' won't shut off when the battery reaches full charge; it can overcharge and cook the electrolyte out. I ruined a battery this way; and they're running $120US or more these days.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Except ... An ordinary 'trickle charger' won't shut off when the battery reaches full charge; it can overcharge and cook the electrolyte out. I ruined a battery this way; and they're running $120US or more these days.

The NOCO chargers are similar to the D-tek . They do shut off and cycle to maintain peak battery voltage as needed .
120$ US .... your getting screwed Bob ...time for a trip to the great white north and spend your $$$$ here . Even when there not on sale your way ahead with the US $

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Two Battery Minders here for several years, and two CTEKs for the last few years on the newer cars. So far all 4 work well.

I believe it was the Battery Tender brand that had the fires. I know a friend who had a couple quit on him after a very short time.

Country flag
The NOCO chargers are similar to the D-tek . They do shut off and cycle to maintain peak battery voltage as needed .
120$ US .... your getting screwed Bob ...time for a trip to the great white north and spend your $$$$ here . Even when there not on sale your way ahead with the US $

I suspect there are 'environmental' issues at play here. Petroleum products--like mineral spirits, a good all-around solvent--used to be less than $1/gal; it's now $10 or more. Oh, and the $120 is WITH a core.

I may take you up on the GWN; my navigator wants to go to Vancouver and the Sun Coast--again--on our next road trip.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I use Battery Minders for years on all My cars ,They desulfate the battery and work great.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What model do you have? I read that about "desulfate" on a Tender and Minder comparison.

Model 12112 older N Black Pepper but do the job---:applause:

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Patrick - can you share that comparison? Thanks, Doug.
PS: picked up a truck with a buddy a few years back in Phoenix and he mentioned that the heat killed batteries in about five years in his area; same thing here, but there's a minus sign in front of the temperature figure.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick - can you share that comparison? Thanks, Doug.
PS: picked up a truck with a buddy a few years back in Phoenix and he mentioned that the heat killed batteries in about five years in his area; same thing here, but there's a minus sign in front of the temperature figure.
This not the exact comparison that I originally found but if you read all the "posts" you'll get enough info. The "desulfator" sounds like a good feature. Also the posts claiming to bring back dead batteries and batteries lasting a lot longer.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/battery-tender-plus-vs-batteryminder-plus.1101/
https://www.batteryminders.com/
https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC
I googled this: <battery tender versus the battery minder reviews>

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
This not the exact comparison that I originally found but if you read all the "posts" you'll get enough info. The "desulfator" sounds like a good feature. Also the posts claiming to bring back dead batteries and batteries lasting a lot longer.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/battery-tender-plus-vs-batteryminder-plus.1101/
https://www.batteryminders.com/
https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-Charger-Maintainer-Desulfator-System/dp/B00D7HZ6FC
I googled this: <battery tender versus the battery minder reviews>
I found the Battery Minder Model #1510 on sale at Battery Mart for $38.95, regularly $65.00, plus shipping. The 1510 has a few more items to it than the 1500 including a 10 year warranty. Battery Mart just got resupplied today. I like what I've read about them and the desulfator feature so I just ordered it, NFI.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have used a Battery Tender Plus for a number of years with no problem.

Because accessing the batteries on two-seaters requires removing the spare I mounted and hardwired a two terminal inlet--used for electric trolling motors--into the vertical trunk panel and installed a corresponding plug on the outlet wires of the Battery Tender. I also have a set of jumper cables with a similar fitting. See attached thumbnail.

Attachments

• BatteryTender.jpg
    BatteryTender.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 109
OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I found the Battery Minder Model #1510 on sale at Battery Mart for $38.95, regularly $65.00, plus shipping. The 1510 has a few more items to it than the 1500 including a 10 year warranty. Battery Mart just got resupplied today. I like what I've read about them and the desulfator feature so I just ordered it, NFI.
Another great buy on the Battery Minder at Northern Tool.
This normally $50.00, but now offered at $20.00 with the desulfator feature.(NFI). https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201