• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Barrett Jackson TR2 Sold

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
SOLD! LOT# 694.1 - 1955 TRIUMPH TR-2 ROADSTER -> HAMMER PRICE: $36,000.00

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Whoever bought it could've had mine for less than half that a few years ago!

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
On the auction site, the total sale price was $39,600.

That inlcudes all the buyers fees and such...

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, I believe the buyer pays a 10% fee as well as the dough they get from the seller.

As I recall, the car looked nice but far from correct -- though the incorrect items were more or less details, probably cheap to set right for someone who just plunked down 40K for a short-door 2.

V

vagt6

The market dynamics are really nutty: TR-2 goes for $36K while Austin-Healey prices are in the tank all of a sudden.

Go figure. Some LBC prices seem stable, some have gone up, others are going down. I don't think Einstein could figure it out.

Having said that, Barrett-Jackson is a world unto itself, it seems. Liquored-up buyers, many with more money than sense, buying cars with and without provenance for jacked-up prices. Please remind me NOT to drink if I ever bid at B-J. :crazyeyes:

Bottom line: a car is "worth" what someone will pay. Period. :yesnod:

G

Interesting..... I wonder what an early top quality correct car might bring?

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Sadly most of the typical Barrett-Jackson buyers would not know a correct TR2 if it rolled over their toes! It's all in the presentation and the written hype.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Lou Metelko said:
Sadly most of the typical Barrett-Jackson buyers would not know a correct TR2 if it rolled over their toes! It's all in the presentation and the written hype.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD

They seem to be real knowlegeble about Corvettes and other high end chivvys though.

I was surprised at the price the Healy 100 brought since it was redone by a real expert. Guess the 4 cylinders don't get the love to 3000s get.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looking at the pics on the auction site it looks like it has a TR4 engine in it. It has a TR4 rocker cover with the breather hose to the carbs and the push on type fuel lines for the carbs. Also a wood panel for the center dash. Nice car but for close to $40 grand, I think I would like have something that is closer to orginal.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
vagt6 said:
...Bottom line: a car is "worth" what someone will pay...

Or, in the case of auctions, a dollar more than what 2 someones will pay. It takes a second bidder to drive the seller to such heights, however emotion and ego come into play which changes the whole value dynamic.

Geez, I sound like FM radio.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
I always seem to miss the cars I wanna see. It seems that whenever I watch it, theyre auctioning off muscle cars. Im sick and tired of muscle cars!!! No one wanted them when I was a kid, why now?!? But I know they sell other cars, the commercials, the website... I guess they wait till I go to the bathroom or leave the room for something else to show them. I swear Ill watch hours of the shows though, and Im lucky to see a viper or corvette. Technically theyre domestic super cars, not muscle cars.

joejoecat

Maybe to the people who have the money to buy these great restored cars don't care as much about "how original" they are,only that are great cars that have been restored to a condition that they can enjoy. It is not as if they are rare car or one of a kind car.Just a great car to drive and enjoy.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
You never know at an auction what something will bring.
That is small money at BJ anyways so everything in that catagory seems a 'deal'.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

Since everyone is "Hyped" up with BJs Auction; I have some news for all you LBC Lovers out there.

There is a gent in "Hawaii" who is selling off his Car Collection of approx. 20 cars. All in really nice shape. He is the owner of "TS1" as well. "TS1" will be selling in the "6 Digit" area.

He just may put his collection For Sale on the BCF Trader? Basil will be contacting him regarding that.

Should you Folks like His Personal contact info. PM or Email myself & I`ll pass it on. I don`t want to make it "Public" yet until the Seller says "Go Ahead". These are "NOT" Inexpensive Cars, Nor Projects etc. So Please; Serious Inquires only.

I can tell you that shipping from "Hawaii to the West Coast" is approx. $1K.

Regards, Russ

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
I've been TiVo'n all the B-J auction stuff... and fast forwarding through all the muscle cars. :smile:

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
toysrrus said:
Howdy Folks,

Since everyone is "Hyped" up with BJs Auction; I have some news for all you LBC Lovers out there.

There is a gent in "Hawaii" who is selling off his Car Collection of approx. 20 cars. All in really nice shape. He is the owner of "TS1" as well. "TS1" will be selling in the "6 Digit" area.

He just may put his collection For Sale on the BCF Trader? Basil will be contacting him regarding that.

Should you Folks like His Personal contact info. PM or Email myself & I`ll pass it on. I don`t want to make it "Public" yet until the Seller says "Go Ahead". These are "NOT" Inexpensive Cars, Nor Projects etc. So Please; Serious Inquires only.

I can tell you that shipping from "Hawaii to the West Coast" is approx. $1K.

Regards, Russ

Funny, he just purchased TS 1 not too long ago

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
joejoecat said:
Maybe to the people who have the money to buy these great restored cars don't care as much about "how original" they are,only that are great cars that have been restored to a condition that they can enjoy. It is not as if they are rare car or one of a kind car. Just a great car to drive and enjoy.

Yeah but I swear on Tuesday and Thursday the EXACT same car will go for60-90% less than ones on the weekend. I know BJ sets it up that way so they gradually get more and more expensive... ...but Im telling you its the EXACT SAME car. Why on earth would one with the exact same paint, engine, interior go for so much less when they BOTH will be frame off restorations, matching numbers, etc. I have all that HD crap at home. I see no paint chips or runs, I see that the same exact redline tires are used. I even see the same texture in the leather/vinyl. So tell me, why?!?

Another reason I dont really car much for the 60s+ domestic cars is because I see them every day practically on the road. A classic mustang at least every day. Classic camaro once a week, and no they arent the same people. And the thing about the mustangs tick me off. Coming from a mustang owner I know... ...within the first few years over a million mustangs were produced and sold... ...and they are ALL RARE! Even with modern mustangs, each one is RARE.

Lets see, California Special, High County, Blue Bonnet (TX edition), Twister, Collor of the month, rainbow of colors, Limited Edition 600 Mustang, indy pace car, indy 64, indy 79, indy 94, shelby, saleen, roush, steeda, foose, ford racing (FR500), warriors in pink, 25th, 30th, 35th, 45th anniversary, mach 1, cobra, cobra r, svo, and thats just a few. Of those theres different years, different colors, different body styles, different options. Even if they only made 5000 in a specific color, owners claim its rare. Heck my 94 is rare, only I cant back that up with numbers. But let me know if you see another 1994 with red interior.

Anyway, point is, every car on the block is special. But most just look like every other car you see daily. But why should one go for 60% less and why was it chosen to be auctioned off earlier in the week?

pjsmetana said:
I've been TiVo'n all the B-J auction stuff... and fast forwarding through all the muscle cars. :smile:

My DVR wouldnt let me. Claimed it didnt have enough room. I was able to record part of it though. I wasnt going to miss Ecto 1.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think the showing of Auctions like that and the rest have skewed all prices of cars. Drives me nuts and I can't stand them.!
JMHO