• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Badge / Driving Lamp Bar For TR4A TR250

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well just got me a set of those reproduction Lucas driving lights and they showed up today. Can't stand my Euro H4 conversions and don't want to switch back to sealed beams because they were a gift from my daughter. Always liked the look of the driving lamps mounted on a bar with a few badges. Now my problem is finding a bar for the TR250. Been trying Ebay and used venders. Any suggestions?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
H4 conversion? Which envelopes do you have? I ~love~ the Hellas. If I could go with Cibie's again they'd be my first choice.

As for the Lucas driving lights: a combo of one "fog" and one "pencil beam" with H-1 bulbs and you can melt th' plastic bumpers off'n the modern jelly-bean car in front of ya with 'em. Not sure about the repro units and whether they can handle H-1 bulbs or not.

I hate "badge bars". If the car gets 'tapped' in the front for any reason, those things tend to spread the damage over the entire front end. And they transmit an amplified vibration to the lights... they tend to "judder about". Just my personal preference.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I hate "badge bars". If the car gets 'tapped' in the front for any reason, those things tend to spread the damage over the entire front end. And they transmit an amplified vibration to the lights... they tend to "judder about". Just my personal preference.
Funny, but I have an almost completely opposite viewpoint! Technically I'm talking about accessory overrider bars such as AMCO used to offer, but for many cars they're the same thing.

My numerous experiences with a GT6+, equipped with front and rear overrider bars sold me on them completely. As (insert name of favorite deity or hero here) is my witness, I actually watched, on more than one occasion, as people paralled-parked their huge land barges on a street either in front or behind my poor GT6+; were it not for those bars, I would've lost the car! As it was, the only bump damage the car ever suffered was when some clown in a Pinto wagon realized he'd drive too far under a red light in front of me, and BACKED UP without looking. He braked just about the same time he hit the front bumper of the GT6+. Fortunately, he was good about it, as was his insurance company!

But that's not why you called. :wink: I never had accessory lights on the front bar; they'd have been too high. That might be the case with a TR4A/250 as well. I'd look to construct some sort of bracket that might come up from the bumper mount, perhaps to "nestle" the lamps in between bumper and guard (if present).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's th' one Andy. MG Mitten sold AMCO bars. All I can say is: you were fortunate. The number of cars I've seen with what I'd call "collateral damage" from those things is in the dozens. I admit they look good, but I'd just bumper mount the lights and grill mount any badges.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DrEntropy...As for the Lucas driving lights: a combo of one "fog" and one "pencil beam" with H-1 bulbs and you can melt th' plastic bumpers off'n the modern jelly-bean car in front of ya with 'em. Not sure about the repro units and whether they can handle H-1 bulbs or not. ....[/quote said:
This is what I like.
SUPER OSCARS

ae8c_1.JPG

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey remember when we had the discussion on convex and concave leadlights.
Check these out
52407928.CIBIESuperOscarsIODE7.5InchProjectorLightsG3Photo13.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
With the good exchange rate now, you might want to consider RevingtonTR. Here's what they have: TR4-5 Lamp Bar

I bought one of these during my brief UK life, but haven't installed it yet. Very high quality for the price. (right now about $60+shipping)

If you want, let me know and I'll take a picture or two of the bar, mocked up on my TR4. Although they say it is for TR4-5 which would include your 250, I don't understand how they do that yet because of the difference in the overrider spacing between the 4 and the later 4a and 250.

Randy

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the info guys. Sorry i didn't get back to you sooner but had to out of town unexpectedly. I do want to see TR4nuts set up. M_Pied_Lourd first link is out of stock and no ETA. The Revington bar mounts look a little whimpy to carry 2 driving lamps. They boasted that they will not interfere with the opening of the hood. Would never have thought that would be an issue with any of them.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Okay, I snuck out to the garage for a quick and dirty mockup and to look at the Revington bar a little more. I still think it is a very good product for the price, thick wall tubing (stainless?), brackets are braced, etc - when installed it will be rock solid. It mounts to the inner most bumper attachment point, which is why I think it works for TR4,4a,250, etc. Only on the 4, though, does it span the overriders.

Here's a quick install shot:
IMG_0364.jpg

Shot from above:
IMG_0365.jpg

Closeup from above:
IMG_0362.jpg

Shot of uninstalled bar:
IMG_0366.jpg

I didn't have it bolted on, so alignment may have been a little off - but when installed, the bar will still be very close to the top of the bumper. I still think you could fit badges on it if you wanted to though.

Randy