• Hi Guest!
    If you enjoy and benefit from your participation at British Car Forum, please consider supporting our efforts with a subscription.

There are some perks with a member upgrade!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

backspacing for 16x7

MGcracker

Freshman Member
hey guys,
I found some decent looking wheels that i would like to put on my B. They measure 16 in. x 7 in. 4 x 4.50 in. bolt Circle, with 5.63 backspacing... will these fit? Or what backspacing would perform/look best?
Thanks,
Mark

WHOA!! You must have some hellishus flares on that car! My fully customized V8 car with flares taes a 7" or 8" wheel!

well, i'm a muscle car guy and am just used to some cars fitting 10" wide in the back with no tub or flare... Where is the best place to get flares also?... and i just measured my stock wheels... they had about a 4" backspacing so I now see the reasoning behind your reaction to my previous post. So...

-Where do I get flares...
-and what wheels size and backspacing can I fit?

Thanks
-Mark

15-5-1/2 is about as large as will fit in the original wheelwells - if the suspension is in top kit!

Tony's spot on. Those wheels will never work without sizable flares. I run 15" x 8" centerlock minilites on my MGC GTS, but it has racing flares ala Sebring 1969.

The other issue is that the suspension design on MGBs doesn't like low-profile tires. The ride will suffer and the rear end will become choppy. You can modify the suspension of course but by the time you're done you could have just bought a better performing car.