• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back in the TR6 Club

Globaldiver

Freshman Member
Country flag
I recently purchased a 1973 TR6, overdrive model with factory hardtop and wire wheels. The first car I ever purchased was a '72 of similar configuration except standard steel wheels/trim rings. I drove my first one as my daily driver for about 7 years in the late '80's, early 90's. I've always wanted another one and finally found one that I'm happy with.

With 41,000 miles, it is in very good condition, but there are the usual electrical gremlins and decomposing rubber to deal with. Nothing unusual or particularly difficult. One of the first major jobs will be rebuilding the ZS Carbs, as one of the float chambers appears to be seeping a bit of petrol. Hopefully that's just a long weekend project.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! I had a TR6,& I rebuilt my carbs with a kit.
I was surprised at how easy it was.Well,except for the part
where I had the rubber diaphragm in the wrong position -
the tab on the diaphragm goes in the hold on the carb body.

OP
G

Globaldiver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Welcome! I had a TR6,& I rebuilt my carbs with a kit.
I was surprised at how easy it was.Well,except for the part
where I had the rubber diaphragm in the wrong position -
the tab on the diaphragm goes in the hold on the carb body.
I did a complete rebuild of my '72 engine, but never touched the carbs.....but that was pre-internet and pre-YouTube. Tons of information out there today, and it does look pretty straight-forward. Plus, there's really not much to do but clean things up and replace all of the gaskets! Seems like a lot of work to eliminate a gas seepage, but there's probably also a sticky valve and compromised floats, so out with the old and in with the new!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome to the British Car Forum. You have purchased a good car…. Ask me how I know :D
On the ‘73 TR6 there is a plug on the bottom of the ZS carbs below the float chamber. The O-ring usually degrades and it leaks. Just something to check.
Be sure to post any questions you have in the Triumph section of the forum.

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks!

I’ll bite … How do you know I bought a good car?
Because I also have a ‘73 TR6 (y)
D65EF543-23B3-4F1A-851C-D23A8A9556FB.jpeg