• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

[b][color:#000000]Stromberg vs. Weber[/color][/b]

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Greetings All, <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

I have a 72 TR6 that I owned since 1989. Over the years, I had the usual carb problems including stuck floats, inconsistent idle, etc. I have rebuilt the OE carbs and linkage several times and although they run fine I don't trust their loyalty. I am investigating the possbility of gaining better reliability by upgrading to the Weber dual downdraft carbs. I would like to autocross the car this summer as well as take an extended road trip with the wife but don't want to be trouble-shooting the carbs along some country road.

My question is: Would this carb change decrease the overall resale of my TR6? Are the downdraft carbs more reliable and less troublesome? Is there any loss of performance over the Strombergs? I am aware of the absence of a vacuum port on the Weber.

I have searched the forum for threads on the subject but have not found any reference to my specific questions. Therefore, I'm seeking the advice and experience of TR6 owners who have been down this road before. Thanks for your help and input.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Stromberg is very reliable, just carry a extra diapharm and some thin oil, for topping up. The downdrafts work OK, but look at the pee trap design, surely gas must pool in the bottom and me thinks a backfire could put a nice glow under the bonnet.

OR!!! go for the gusto and get the triple DCOE set up.

Wayne

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm not a fan of the Weber DGVs. Everyone in our local club that put them on, went back to the Strombergs, or put on SUs or DCOEs. And I've personally seen voluminous amounts of petrol accumulate in those drain trap manifolds...usually due to high fuel pressure. They are very sensitive to over pressure, and a regulator will be required.

I can understand the mystique of Webers, but just not those. I'd trust a Stromberg over the DGV any day. Besides, they are very easy to repair.

swift6

Yoda
You said that you have rebuilt them in the past, were those full rebuilds or just new gasket sets? Full rebuilds will include new throttle shaft seals, throttle discs, By pass valves as well as gaskets and float control valves (be they needle and seat or gross jet).

OP
SherpaPilot

SherpaPilot

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks to all for the feedback. Yes, I had done the complete rebuild including the shafts, installed the gross jets, etc. As far as the DCOE goes, I just don't have the $2.000+ to spend at the present time. I guess I was simply seeking a long term reliability install. Given the negative feedback on the DGVs, I guess I will stick to what I have and continue to work with the Stromberg design. Thanks again for your time and responses. This forum has always been a great help in solving problems as well as decision making.

DB

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Hey, come to think of it, I've got a Weber and maniflod for a Spit in the barn. Guess I should post it on the classified here.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
Hey, come to think of it, I've got a Weber and maniflod for a Spit in the barn. Guess I should post it on the classified here.

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
If you want reliability, go fuel injected. :smile:

As far as resale goes, whatevers factory that you replace with aftermarket, keep. When selling mention that you have the original Strombergs. You may even offer to swap them back. With newer cars, some people don't even offer. They replace with OE and then sell the aftermarket part.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
SherpaPilot said:
Greetings All, <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

I have a 72 TR6 that I owned since 1989. Over the years, I had the usual carb problems including stuck floats, inconsistent idle, etc. I have rebuilt the OE carbs and linkage several times and although they run fine I don't trust their loyalty. I am investigating the possbility of gaining better reliability by upgrading to the Weber dual downdraft carbs. I would like to autocross the car this summer as well as take an extended road trip with the wife but don't want to be trouble-shooting the carbs along some country road.

My question is: Would this carb change decrease the overall resale of my TR6? Are the downdraft carbs more reliable and less troublesome? Is there any loss of performance over the Strombergs? I am aware of the absence of a vacuum port on the Weber.

I have searched the forum for threads on the subject but have not found any reference to my specific questions. Therefore, I'm seeking the advice and experience of TR6 owners who have been down this road before. Thanks for your help and input.

I don't think it would decrease the value. If you are concerned, save the manifold and carbs and convert it back or give prospective buyers a choice of weber or Z-S.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
To my mind a set of SU's would INcrease the car's value...

but then, consider th' source. :smirk:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Since I've changed over to the Webbers 3 years ago I have not had any problems or had to even adjust my carbs once. I did re-jet mine prior to installation.

I feel the performance has increased from day one, mine have a elect. choke.

I understand some people really dont like the webbers setup. but back in the 70's it was all the rage'

I'm very satisfied with my setup!

a13.jpg

tr18.jpg

DSC07743.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
To my mind a set of SU's would INcrease the car's value...

:iagree:

I kinda talked Tony from Ratco to dump his DGVs on his modified TR250 for triple SUs. He put on three HIF44s (I think that's what they're called). He says car has never run so good.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
billspit said:
You can buy a set of weber Mchh single side drafts pretty cheaply.

Here's the kit... looks like a viable alternative. Notice that they advise that you buy their $34 pressure regulator.