• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG Automotive Paint Price!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Most know I'm having my TF painted Jaguar Regency Red. Now even though all costs are included in my contract price for the whole job, I found out two days ago that the Jag Regency Red is made up of 5 colors with just a drop of Pearl. For 1 gallon the cost is $900.00!
What in Gods creation is this world coming to! If there's any left over, I think I'll bring it home and put it in a vault! Can you store paint in a safety deposit box? :rolleyes2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Reds are about the most expensive colors in automotive paints. Insulting, IMHO.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Now I know why some folks are using Walmart paints! :highly_amused: :encouragement:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Paint does seem to be one of the most expensive liquids around.

$900 would buy you 5 bottles of Scotch (roughly a gallon) at $180/bottle. That's pretty nice Scotch!

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would be afraid to drive that car around after having it eat at my wallet like that. Though from what you've showed us, Thats gonna be one classy color.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I've painted cars in the past and never had a problem choosing a color, but for some reason this car is different, in my mind anyway. As seen before, this is how the car gets painted, but the second photo, the Jag, is the real color. The Jag paint changes slightly under different lighting conditions, probably because there's a drop of pearl in it. This whole thing has become quite interesting to be sure.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's a really nice paint scheme. Funny how we sometimes know *exactly* what we want -- while other times it's a long process to make those sorts of decisions.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would be afraid to drive that car around after having it eat at my wallet like that. Though from what you've showed us, Thats gonna be one classy color.

ironically, $900, while expensive is not the real money. It is not unusual to see 30k paint jobs - now those I would be afraid to drive!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Well you know Drew, sometimes decisions are made on a whim and after 3 or 4 years of off and on thinking about a color, I saw the photo of the TF in the photo and it was an instant like. From that point on, I've never changed my mind. The purists won't like it, if they do, they won't admit it. :highly_amused:. But my car, I like it and that's the way it'll be! Only the color and chrome wheels are a deviation from factory correct. The rest of the car is right on! PJ

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
With the cost of quality paint and bodywork, sometimes I think the condition of paint and body is more important than the mechanics when deciding tp buy a restoration candidate. I think that's why a lot of project cars get sold, they did the mechanicals and couldn't afford the bodywork later. It's also why you see the younger guys looking towards DIY Rustoleum paint jobs, Plasti-Dip and satin primer.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
With the cost of quality paint and bodywork, sometimes I think the condition of paint and body is more important than the mechanics when deciding tp buy a restoration candidate. I think that's why a lot of project cars get sold, they did the mechanicals and couldn't afford the bodywork later. It's also why you see the younger guys looking towards DIY Rustoleum paint jobs, Plasti-Dip and satin primer.

I agree Rick, it's a tough row to hoe for some as the cost for everything for the T series is going out of sight, let alone other models. I see no relief in cost escalation as every year the price of parts, chroming and painting gets higher making the cost of restoration more than the car is worth! Everyone should do a little home work before buying one of these cars to make sure they can restore one properly without having to mortgage everything to do it. No car is worth that! JMHO. PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

This is why I did the bodywork/paint for Penny first -- I have the resources now to pay for the work so figured it best to get that out of the way. I should have done the same with the Tunebug but got sidetracked into the mechanical work, then sold the car before I could muster the effort to pull all those new bits back off the car.