• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Attn: Doc, and other watch lovers

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm slow on th' "uptick." ๐Ÿ˜‰

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This is one of my favorite Chronographs, the Seiko SN411 Flight Master. I recently swapped out the stock stainless bracelet for this NDC Parachute strap. It's made from surplus French military parachute strapping. It's very comfortable and nice and stretchy, unlike many NATO style straps.

Seiko SN411 w NDC.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What size bezel on that, Basil?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dang boss, with all the stuff on that watch it must do just about everything. Makes me dizzy looking at it. Can you actually tell time with it too?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I recently swapped out the stock stainless bracelet for this NDC Parachute strap. It's made from surplus French military parachute strapping. It's very comfortable and nice and stretchy, unlike many NATO style straps.
Good choice on the strap. I have one for my Timex. The only way I can get the right fit on my wrist.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Dang boss, with all the stuff on that watch it must do just about everything. Makes me dizzy looking at it. Can you actually tell time with it too?
If you stare at it long enough LOL! It's a Flight calculator from which you can calculate speed, distance, time, fuel consumption, etc. Similar functions as a Breitling Navitimer but without the $6,000 price tag.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you stare at it long enough LOL! It's a Flight calculator from which you can calculate speed, distance, time, fuel consumption, etc. Similar functions as a Breitling Navitimer but without the $6,000 price tag.
I noticed that it has compass directions on the outer bezel... is there a compass in the watch? If not, how are the N,S,E,W settings used?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
s there a compass in the watch? If not, how are the N,S,E,W settings used?
The compass indices on the bezel are used to provide a rough indication of direction. This description is for the Northern Hemisphere: At night of course you would simply point the N in the general direction of the North Star and the other indices will point towards the respective directions (this assumes you can see the North Star). In the day time it's a little different. First you need to set the time to standard time (if you are in Day Light Savings time, you would reset the watch for standard [non-DLS] time.) Then, holding the watch level you point the hour hand in the direction of the sun (keeping the watch level - not pointing UP at the sun). Then, rotate the bezel such that "S" or south is pointed halfway between the hour hand and the 12 o'clock position on the watch. While in this orientation, the indices will point in the respective directions so you can tell which was is East, West, North East, etc.

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The compass indices on the bezel are used to provide a rough indication of direction. This description is for the Northern Hemisphere: At night of course you would simply point the N in the general direction of the North Star and the other indices will point towards the respective directions (this assumes you can see the North Star). In the day time it's a little different. First you need to set the time to standard time (if you are in Day Light Savings time, you would reset the watch for standard [non-DLS] time.) Then, holding the watch level you point the hour hand in the direction of the sun (keeping the watch level - not pointing UP at the sun). Then, rotate the bezel such that "S" or south is pointed halfway between the hour hand and the 12 o'clock position on the watch. While in this orientation, the indices will point in the respective directions so you can tell which was is East, West, North East, etc.
Oy.... It might be easier to get a bearing from the sun (assuming you can see it).
Thank you for the detailed instructions.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oy.... It might be easier to get a bearing from the sun (assuming you can see it).
Thank you for the detailed instructions.
It might be easier but that's actually a pretty accurate way to find north.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
HA! I still check to see where the moss is growing on tree trunks...

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I remember having a watch with that compass ring. Never did understand what it was good for. Don't have that anymore but thanks for the info anyway.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We were given the watch method in the USAF jungle survival course, as a just-in-case if no compass was available. What good it would be in triple-canopy jungle is kinda iffy though.