• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Attaching top dash pad on a Tr4a

Tr4aJim

Folks,

I'm putting in a new dash pad on my Tr4a. The old one was in bad shape and was just sitting on top of the dash unattached.

I see there are three metal tabs at the base of the windshield that correspond to three holes in the new top pad. Does the new pad sit above or below these tabs? How is the top pad attached, bolts?

I looked on the Moss site and the only thing they show are 3 plates to attach a tonneau cover. Is that what I'm supposed to use, even though I don't have a tonneau?

thanks

Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, those 3 chrome bolts that hold those tabs (with tonneau snaps) also help secure the dash top.

5dash_zpse0zc56x1.jpg

Mostly though the dash top is clamped in place by simply have the windscreen sitting on it. I used just enough (spray) adhesive to hold it in place until it was all together.

So far as I know all TR4s/4as (other than Surrey-equipped) had those snaps irrespective of whether they had a tonneau - in fact I am not sure if some were even delivered w/o a tonneau. If plan to never use a tonneau (a very useful accessory) I suppose you could omit those snaps and the plates that hold them so long as you keep the aluminum triangles that are under the bolt heads.

Are your doors fitted (or at least drilled) for the 3 snaps that hold each side of the tonneau?

OP
T

Tr4aJim

Thanks!

No, the tops of the doors have no snaps or holes.

That brings up another question. Are the Tr4a door tops suppose to be painted metal or are they supposed to be padded like the dash?

Jim

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks!

No, the tops of the doors have no snaps or holes.

That brings up another question. Are the Tr4a door tops suppose to be painted metal or are they supposed to be padded like the dash?

Jim

Yes Jim, the tops of the 4A and later doors are supposed to be trimmed not bare. I replaced mine when I rebuilt the car. It is a very fiddly and annoying job and they do not tend to stay in position over time, as winding the window up and down will push them off. Later I sent the car to a trimmer to have the seats and door cards redone. When I picked it up to drive home, it felt different. I realised that they had removed the door cappings and not replaced them. With my broad shoulders (from running a small business for 40 years :excitement:smile: it was much more comfortable. So they have never been replaced. Unless you are building a concours car, I would not bother.

OP
T

Tr4aJim

Ok, good to know.

An update on the missing door tonneau snaps - I have the door cards off, and from what I can see from underneath, looks like the snaps were removed and holes welded shut sometime in the past (maybe they rusted out). Anyway, does anyone know if there is a template that would give the proper spacing for new snaps?

Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
No template but if you wish I can carefully measure mine and also show some pictures.

Positioning will not have to be exact anyway as any new tonneau you buy will require you to fit the snaps to it based on where they fall on your car.

OP
T

Tr4aJim

Geo, if you could give me a measurement of the three snaps, say starting from the back edge of the door, I would really appreciate it. No rush, when you get a chance.

thanks

Jim

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Here are some photos - I had not looked at the message today so I took the shots starting at the front edge of the door, hopefully that will work. The back edge measurement gets into that hump/dip which may make starting there less accurate.

Tonneau%20Snaps%201_zpsfjlegq2g.jpg

Tonneau%20Snaps%202_zpseferq8nl.jpg

Tonneau%20Snaps%203_zpsvmh1cmtv.jpg

Tonneau%20Snaps%204_zpst3pg1p6u.jpg

Let me know if this is not enough to go by.